Problems with Windows 8 (64 bit) with 260sp

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
johnr
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Problems with Windows 8 (64 bit) with 260sp

Post by johnr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 pm

1. I am having trouble with the registration process - it won't take my registration key.

2. It errors out when I opt to take the trial period.

3. When I refuse the trial period the miditzer 260sp comes up but does not play the selected midi file but I can play the keyboard through to the x-fi xtremegamer pci card.

I'm just letting folks know that there is a problem or two here with Windows 8 and probably with 64 bit systems. Meanwhile its back to Vista 32 and a much slower system.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Problems with Windows 8 (64 bit) with 260sp

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Based on Windows 7 reports, I suspect you will have to run with Administrative privileges at least when you start the trial period or enter a registration code. I don't know if the Miditzer will run on a 64 bit system without some jiggery-pokery for running older programs that were written before such things as 64 bit systems and multiple processors were available.
Jim Henry

greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 am

I have read that User Access Control (UAC) has been "improved" (read made much stricter) in Windows 8. In Windows 7 users had to turn off UAC to be able to enter the 260 registration code and so will need to do the same in Windows 8.

I suspect, if you were to tell the install program to install the program in your "Documents" area (where you have full user access) you would not have the problem.

I don't know how to do any of this as I still run Windows XP.

(This does not have anything to do with 64 bit.)
Rick

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:46 am

Johnr,

Were you able to resolve the issues with Windows 8 64 bit?
Jim Henry

reuel

Windows 8 (64 bit) with 260sp TIPs

Post by reuel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 pm

How to Turn off UAC (temporally - to register 260SP)
• Click on DESKTOP tablet
• Press Windowkey + C
• Settings
• Click on control panel
• User accounts and family safety
• Change user Accounts Control Settings
• Slide the slider down to never notify and click OK the YES
• Windowskey + C
• Click on Settings
• Power
• Restart
Now install Miditzer 260SP & start the trial period or enter a registration code.
UAC can be turned back on after 260SP is registered.

Here are steps to allow installation of any unsigned driver on windows 8 x64:-
1. Windowskey + C
2. Click Settings | power
3. Hold down shift-key and select restart.
4. Choose Troubleshoot
5. Choose Advanced Options
6. Choose Windows Startup Settings, then Click Restart.
7. Now the computer will restart and the boot menu appears. Choose “Disable Driver signature Enforcement” from the menu (press either 7 or F7 key).
Now windows will start and you can do the installation of the driver that is unsigned.

My experience Using Windows 8 Pro X64.
MIDI Intefaces
• Casio WK8000 USB Midi (Downloaded new Win 8 x64 driver from Casio Website “CCUSBX64_INST.ZIP”).
• M-AUDIO Oxygen 61 silver (Driver for win7 x64 “Install_M-Audio_Oxygen_1_2_1.exe” works)
• Pedalboard connected to Roland UMONE USB-MIDI interface (Downloaded new Win 8 x64 driver from Roland “umone_win8d_v100.zip")
• EMU XMIDI 2x2 (Driver “EmmP_PCDrv_US_1_01_05.exe" works)
• EMU XBoard61 – (all available USB drivers are NOT compatible with Win 8 x64). I had to connect MIDI out port connected to MIDI-in port of Pedalboard as workaround).
Update: After I upgraded the firmware of XBOARD 61 using an XP PC, my XBOARD 61 works though USB using Microsoft supplied Windows 8 x64 class drivers.
TouchScreen
• Compaq L2105tm Touch Screen works with inherent Win 8 x64 driver.
Sound Cards
• $30 Creative Audigy SE 7.1 works perfect.
• Motherboard Realtek 5.1 HD audio also works.
Software
• Miditzer 216, 260sp, 160c all work under WOW in Win 8 x64.
• EMU Emulator X3 works perfect 41.4K, 48K, 96K
• Multiple Proteus VS VST under 64bits VSTHOST 1.53 - with ASIO4ALL Works
• ASIO4ALL 2.10 64 bits works well.
• Loopmidi 64 bits works
• Loopbe1 64 bits works
• MIDIOX works under WOW in Win 8 x64
Last edited by reuel on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. That should be helpful to people with Win8.
Jim Henry

greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 pm

My understanding of UAC in simplistic terms is as follows:

Windows 7 and now Windows 8 monitors certain areas of your files with different allowable parameters.
In the "Program Files" area it will allow a program to be installed, but it will not allow a "user" to change any of the files. It expects that any files that need to be edited or changed should be stored in the "Documents" area, where it will allow files to be edited without causing any problems.

The registration and settings in Miditzer need to edit a file that is stored by default by the installer in the "Program Files" area of the computer. Windows thinks this is a problem so won't allow it to happen (unless you turn off the safeguards).

Rather than turning off UAC and/or logging in as administrator, the easy fix is to simply install Miditzer in "Documents", not in "Program Files" (which it tries to do by default). When installed in "Documents" Windows won't mind how many times the program wants to edit the files.

If you look at the installations of newer large software company products, you will find that they install some files in the "Program Files" area, and also create a folder in the "Documents" area and place any files that hold user settings and other files that need to be edited by the program in that folder.

Regards
Rick
Rick

reuel

Post by reuel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 pm

greenfox wrote: Rather than turning off UAC and/or logging in as administrator..
Rick
UAC can be always on after Miditzer 260SP is registered.
In Win 8, all programs are run in user-mode by default even if logged-in user has "administrator rights".
If you want Miditzer to "run as administrator", you can specify that in the shortcut or just right-click to "run as administrator".

I won't advise loading programs in user document area since unprotected programs can be attacked by "malware" and later cause a lot of damage.
By the way, well behaved programs save parameters under "programdata" folder and NOT in "program files" or Program file x86" folders.

mosis

Re: Windows 8 (64 bit) with 260sp TIPs

Post by mosis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

reuel wrote:
• EMU XBoard61 –
Update: After I upgraded the firmware of XBOARD 61 using an XP PC, my XBOARD 61 works though USB using Microsoft supplied Windows 8 x64 class drivers.
Hi reuel, can you tell me what version of the firmware you have now installed in your XBoard 61?
I had to sell mine because I couldn't get it to work with Windows 8 64 bit, every time I turned it on using the USB lead, it would turn off after about a tenth of a second.
Can you give some more details about exactly how you got it working? If I recall correctly, I installed the latest firmware while installing the XBoard drivers, and after that it stopped working. (It worked fine using a MIDI to USB lead, but I didn't want to use batteries or an external power supply, so I sold it, hoping to find something similar which worked with Windows 8, but so far I haven't found a keyboard with as nice an action as the Xboard).