Pedals not sounding

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
grocer

Pedals not sounding

Post by grocer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am

I have recently acquired a new Ringway RS408EU organ and although still finding my way around all the settings I was anxious to set up my Miditzer 216 prog.I set the channel transmissions according to the organ manual -Upper Ch1 ,Lower Ch2,Pedals Ch3 - and the installation of the prog. seemed to go all right.
However,when trying to play only the keyboards produced sound and nothing from the pedals.When I tried a pedal by itself there was a flickering on the PC's monitor, something like a brief message but it was too quick to really determine.I have a midi to USB cable connection to the PC.Checking with midi-ox (what a clever programme ) it showed that the keyboards were transmitting note-on and note off correctly but the pedals were sending an All Sounds Off message before the pedal note-on/off data and this is presumably the culprit.I am not too well up with MIDI and not sure where to start to try and solve the problem. As the Ringway is a new model there is little user information available yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
RonK

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Pedals not sounding

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Go to the Miditzer Settings (click the yellow M in the upper left corner), click the Pistons tab, and see if the "Enable MIDI Panic" is checked. If it is, clear it. Let me know if that solves the problem. If not, you will probably have to use MIDI-OX as a front-end filter to remove the All Sounds Off messages.
Jim Henry

grocer

Post by grocer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks Jim for your prompt reply.
I have checked that the Panic box is not ticked in the piston tab settings so it seems I will have to look into trying to filter out this unwanted data.I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
RonK

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

To get you started with MIDI-OX, you'll need a virtual MIDI cable such as the free LoopBe1. Use the virtual MIDI cable as MIDI Out in MIDI-OX and MIDI In in the Miditzer. The MIDI to USB cable will be the MIDI In for MIDI-OX as it was when you looked at the messages being sent by your console.

At this point MIDI-OX will just be passing through everything. Things should work exactly as they did when you connected the MIDI to USB directly to the Miditzer. Get this much working before you tackle setting up a filter in MIDI-OX.
Jim Henry

bdalton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by bdalton » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:11 am

I notice, that looking at the features of Ringway RS 400 series organs, they have a sustain feature using a pedal switch. If this feature is activated (even without the extra pedal switch) this would explain the "all notes off" message preceading a "note on".

Barry

PS. Further investigations show that the volume pedal can be selected to be "volume" or "sustain".
Check your user manual. :)
Barry

grocer

Post by grocer » Sun May 05, 2013 11:58 am

Barry,
Thanks for those tips. I have gone through the manual and checked all the items referring to Pedals and ensured that there are no conflicting items but this has made no difference.
I tried installing another VTO program and this time everything worked ,although the pedals were still sending the All Sounds Off data they were sounding properly.
This makes me think that I have an incorrect setting somewhere in my Miditzer set up so I will have a thorough check through.

RonK

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Sun May 05, 2013 12:58 pm

i think the miditzer responds to all sounds off and you'll have to filter that out.
Jim Henry