Cracking sound from speakers

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
habakkuk1v7
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Cracking sound from speakers

Post by habakkuk1v7 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 am

Hi there guys,

I'm not tech or computer savvy guy and I just enjoy playing on the organ.

I've some problem with the speakers. They produce a cracking sound when I select the higher pitch stops like eg, 2' or the mutations stops.

I get the same problem when i switch to earphones. Can you guys advise whats the problem? I suspect its my old HP netbook sound card. i'm running on XP and using a pc speakers with its own power source. I don't mind buying a new computer but I am really afraid it'll be the same after spending that sum.

Hope you can guide me please?

Thanks!
Vincent

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Cracking sound from speakers

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am

You are right that a new computer likely won't solve the problem. That is mostly be cause the Miditzer hasn't caught up with the changes in the handling of audio in newer versions of Windows to take advantage of the increased power of today's hardware.

Just to be sure the problem isn't in the speakers, confirm that playing recorded audio with high frequency content does not cause the crackle.

You should also run the Windows Task Manager and look at the performance tab to confirm that no more than about 10% of the computer's performance is being used when it is doing "nothing". Sometime background programs will suck up a large amount of the computer's horsepower and shutting them down will solve this type of problem.

I would suggest that you use the "Console Up" MIDI file to test and tune your system. Confirm that the crackling is heard using that file.

Find out the sample rate that your sound hardware uses. I think that is somewhere on the panels that Windows will show you if you dig through the Control Panel. This is important! If you can't find it, let us know so we can offer more help in digging out this information. Most likely values are 44100 or 48000.

Open the Miditzer Settings and select the Fluidsynth settings tab. Set Samplerate to match the sample rate of your sound card.

Test for the crackle. If you still have crackle, go to the next step. You will test after each adjustment, so I won't repeat these instructions. Just do this step after each adjustment.

Double the Buffer size. Test.

Double the Number of buffers. Test.

Repeat from buffer size.

These adjustments will increase the latency, the time from pressing a key until you hear a sound. You want the fewest number of small buffers that you can get away with before you get crackling.

If you can't get satisfactory results with this procedure, there are some more advanced things you can try but you might become a computer savvy guy in the process. :lol:
Jim Henry

habakkuk1v7

Post by habakkuk1v7 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Jim,

thanks for your detailed advice. I'll go home tonight and go through your guide. Appreciate your kind help. I've been using your Miditzer for these past few days and am enjoying exploring the wonderful range of sounds (even with the cracking problems haha).

Thank you once again!
Vincent

habakkuk1v7

Post by habakkuk1v7 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:40 am

Hi Jim,

I have carried out about two hours of adjustment to the Fluidsynth settings and managed to get the cracking sound solved.

I've borrowed my office's old Dell vista laptop home to try it and WOW! The stops' voices is wonderful and warmth! My HP netbook produced the sounds are rather flat, but I'm satisfied with it for the time being.

I've got a question to ask about soundfonts and will post in in the appropriate section.

Thanks!