Aftertouch midi messages

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
MCV
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Aftertouch midi messages

Post by MCV » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,

What does an aftertouch midi message look like ?

I'm trying to configure miditzer to get aftertouch messages with a keyboard that has this option available and it doesn't work, even though the aftertouch is on (a Roland U-20, by the way).

As for midiox, it seems to me that whether the aftertouch is on or off, the messages are the same: note on, velocity, status, note off...

I read somewhere in the net that some usb2midi cables filter aftertouch messages. I was wondering if this is the case for mine. It's a Roland UM ONE.

Any ideas ?
Thank you,
Manuel

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Aftertouch midi messages

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi Manuel,

USB-MIDI cable do not filter out messages as a general rule. I am sure there are cables that do, but they shouldn't. I'd be surprised if the UM-ONE filtered messages.

Channel Aftertouch is also called Channel Pressure. This message is sent by pressing down on the key after it "bottoms out". It sends the single greatest pressure value of all the current depressed keys. It can send a lot of messages if the pressure is changing, which it usually will. The MIDI messages for Channel Aftertouch are 0xDc vv where c is the channel and vv is a value for the pressure applied to the keys.

To turn on Channel Aftertouch on the U-20, do [JUMP] -> Bank [2] to enter Edit/Setup/MIDI/Kybd. Use the [<] CURSOR [>] to find "Tx Ch Aftertouch" and set it to ON. You should now see the 2 byte 0xDn nn messages whenever pressure is applied to pressed keys. MIDI-OX can also filter out messages from the display, so double check that if you don't see the messages.
Jim Henry

MCV

Post by MCV » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Jim!

I checked the keyboards settings and the aftertouch is on. I attached is a screen capture of what I get from midi-ox. All filters in midi-ox are off. Still, I can't see the aftertouch messages. It's very weird. Perhaps I missed some midi-ox option somewhere.

Manuel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Manuel,

I can't think of anything that you might have missed in MIDI-OX. If anyone else has an idea about this, please jump in. I'm stumped.

My suggestion would be to program a Timbre on the U-20 that is affected by aftertouch in some easily heard way. Look at MIDI-OX as you play the aftertouch effect just to confirm that the MIDI messages still don't show the aftertouch messages.

Then see if you can produce the aftertouch effect by sending MIDI to the U-20. If the USB-MIDI cable is filtering the aftertouch messages, then it will most likely filter them going both ways. If you can send aftertouch to the U-20, then the cable is pretty much ruled out as the issue.
Jim Henry

johnh
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by johnh » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Looking at the manual for the U-20 it looks like it can display the MIDI data arriving at and being generated by the keyboard. You could compare this with what you see in MIDI-OX to see if there is a discrepancy... I did a Google search for 'U-20_OM.pdf' to find the manual.

MCV

Post by MCV » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 am

johnh wrote:Looking at the manual for the U-20 it looks like it can display the MIDI data arriving at and being generated by the keyboard. You could compare this with what you see in MIDI-OX to see if there is a discrepancy... I did a Google search for 'U-20_OM.pdf' to find the manual.
I checked that too.

It's a very old keyboard, more than 25 years old. A few keys are not working. I guess the aftertouch is not working either.

Thanks anyway,
Manuel