MIDI channels

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
MidiBuilder
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

MIDI channels

Post by MidiBuilder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 pm

I am trying to configure the 216 for trial.
It seems to require all pistons, stops, and swell shoes to be on a single MIDI channel.
My console is not compatible with that.
Is there a way to configure additional MIDI channels in the channel list?

JimHenry

Re: MIDI channels

Post by JimHenry » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Sorry for the delay. Our moderator was asleep at the switch. In the future your posts will appear immediately.

Yes, the 216 can be configured for a variety of console arrangements. Rather than try to explain all the possibilities, why don't you tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to do it.

To start, tell me how your keyboards are configured and if you have them all working correctly.

Then tell me what pistons you have, what MIDI messages they send, and on what MIDI channels.

We'll tackle the rest after we get this much working.

MidiBuilder

Post by MidiBuilder » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 pm

I have 3 manuals and a pedalboard. They are on MIDI channels 0, 1, 2, and 3.
I have two of the manuals and the pedalboard working.
I have 37 pistons spread across MIDI channels 5, 6 and 7, including the set and clear pistons. They generate note on/off messages.
I have a list of them. They are not consistently contiguous.
The 2 swell shoes are on channel 8. They generate the typical swell pedal messages; I forget what exactly.

All of this works on another virtual organ. Only the manuals (2) and pedals are working on the 216 because of the need to configure multiple channels for the pistons and swell shoes.

JimHenry

Post by JimHenry » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:47 am

You will need to use MidiOx to translate the piston messages because the Miditzer is not flexible enough to accept the note on/off messages for pistons. Are you at all familiar with MidiOx?

If you change the 2nd Touch channels for Solo and Accomp from 11 and 12 to the channel of your unused manual, you can play a third manual using the 2nd touch stops.

Change the <auxillary> channel from 16 to 8 and see if your swell pedals work.

BTW, while it is very confusing, the convention is to label the MIDI channels from 1 to 16 decimal, even though the actual values in the commands run from 0 to 15. You seem to be using the more sensible 0 to 15 numbering, so you might need to translate the Miditzer channels by subtracting 1 to get the numbers you seem to be using.