Configuring HyperThreaded and Multicore s

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:13 am

The following information only applies to Miditzer versions 0.88 and earlier. Starting with version 0.881 of the Midtzer, the affinity bit is set by the program and no action by the user is required on multicore systems.______________________________________________________Many computers now include processors with HyperThreading or multiple cores. These are processor hardware configurations designed to increase performance of the computer by processing two or more instructions at the same time.It appears that the Miditzer is not executed correctly on such system. The symptoms is a large number of ciphers (stuck notes). I don't know if every HyperThreaded or multicore sytem is affected by this problem. I also do not know if the new versions of the Miditzer currently in alpha testing are affected by this problem. I'd suggest not doing anything until you actually experience problems.If you do have a Hyperthreaded or multicore system with many ciphers, one fix to try is to run the Miditzer in Windows 98/Me compatibility mode.Disable Hyperthreading support for Miditzer in Windows 2000 and XPRight click the Miditzer shortcut Select Properties Select Compatibility Check
"Run this program in compatibility mode" Select "Windows 98/Windows
ME" Click OKIt may also be possible to resolve this issue by setting the affinity for the Miditzer to run it on a single core. Here is a link for those who want to explore this possibility:http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/05/28/ ... index.html
Jim Henry2008-02-07 14:32:18

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:06 am

Jim's suggestion to use Win98/Me compaitibility mode completely eliminated problems I was having on an Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo machine.

Joe H.

Joe
Admin Group
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 pm

virtualpipes wrote:I have upgraded my PC to a quad core intel chip Q6600 with 2gB od RAM.
With many of Kent Allmans fine soundfont ranks installed, Miditzer 260 SP (extra SP, in my case) was giving me plenty of cyphers. And after playing a fast song on full organ, the darn thing was hiccupping lke crazy, with almost a melody touch and MIDI going crazy. The only way to correct it was exiting the program.
   But changing the windows compatibilty to win98/ME seems to have corrected this!!!!!!! We'll see if this really does it, but seems OK so far.
There is no switch for HT in the BIOS on this motherboard.

There is no switch for Hyperthreading because the Q6600 doesn't have it, nor do any of the Core Duo/Quad processors.  Intel is has done away with it, until 2008 when a new series will be launched.

Intel's Hyperthreading is an emulator, to fool the OS into thinking there are more processors, therefore more threads can be run similataneously.  This still happens with the Quad, but there's no need to fake it as with a Pentium4. 

I've run Miditzer on a Q6600 with no problems. 

pastor

Post by pastor » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:58 pm

I have an interesting series of problems.  In trying to play the new midi concert both of my computers crash.  They both played the console up and the xmas one fine.  Also I now have both computers being fed from a 2X2 Midi merge unit.  My AMD 4200 dual core playing the 260 with USF soundfonts and my other machine playing my K2.(me playing)  The dual-core crashed after about 10 minutes of the best Miditzer sound I have had to date.  I tried your suggestion to use the 98/ME method and it will work with the original soundfonts BUT I can not get it to load the USF soundfonts for some reason....any suggestions?

Clyde

Xicoharvey

Post by Xicoharvey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:14 pm

I have a question. I am using a Motu midi express 128 feeding my keyboards to my Miditzer 260 computer via USB2. I now have a second computer and want to install Miditzer 260 on it. I have a USB Y and want to be able to use both computers at once. Will this cause any problems?
Xicoharvey

silentfilmmusic

Re: Configuring HyperThreaded and Multicore s

Post by silentfilmmusic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I have reinstalled WinXP and need to disable hyperthreading to try and troubleshoot some occasional cypher/lock-up/audioclicking issues. I can't find instructions on how to disable this on the forum, and can't remember how to do this, but I know someone posted them here. Can anyone with the instructions post them or provide a link to the post on the forum that contains them? Thanks.

Ben

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Did the information in the first post above not answer your question?
Jim Henry

silentfilmmusic

Post by silentfilmmusic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 am

Jim, it did. However, I am still having occasional, minor issues -- ones which are symptomatic of the issues I had a few years back when hyperthreading was a culprit -- and thought it would be worth trying to disable hyperthreading just to rule it out on my end of things...since I am running WinXP on BootCamp on a MacBookPro. If you think it's not worth pursuing, that'll be sufficient for me and I'll move on to trying other things. Thanks!

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 pm

AFAIK the current version of the Miditzer uses only one core in a multicore/hyperthreaded environment. If you go further and take the steps discussed above to thwart multicore/hyperthreaded processing, then I think you've done all the Miditzer community knows about multicore/hyperthreaded processing. As I recall the multicore/hyperthreaded issues were not occasional, minor issues. What I remember was a major train wreck ciphering of many notes. If you have occasional, minor issues I think the problem lies elsewhere. Any chance that a MIDI cable has gotten intermittent? Is the symptom only ciphers or do you have notes that don't play?
Jim Henry

silentfilmmusic

Post by silentfilmmusic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm

What I'm hearing is an occasional clicking/popping sound which, back in the nasty-hyperthread days, usually was followed by a cypher train wreck. This hasn't happened yet, but I've done a couple shows where I've heard that click/pop a couple times and held my breath. The 216 locked up during "Pasion of Joan of Arc" a couple weeks ago and I had to quit and relaunch the app.

I do have 7 or 8 SF2's loaded in Fluidsynth, and that could be a reason, although I'd had HT disabled on my prior install and hadn't had any issues with this # of sf2's. Am running on a faster MBPro now (3.0 GHz processor and several gigs of RAM), so processing speed shouldn't be an issue. (Am looking forward to getting LinuxSampler rolling and integrated with the 216, if hosting sf2's on Fluidsynth is not the ideal way to go.)

Ben