Using the PC Keyboard as a Midi Controller

You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
SteveM
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Using the PC Keyboard as a Midi Controller

Post by SteveM » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Has anyone used their PC keyboard as a Midi Controller to send program changes for the pistons and stops. I assume this is something that can be done because the Miditzer program already has some of this built in when you first install it.

I would like to use some keys to control the pistons and the rest to control individual stops and sound effects?

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Using the PC Keyboard as a Midi Controller

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:22 pm

The built-in use of the computer keyboard is special case programming. It is not somehow getting MIDI messages from computer keys and routing them into the MIDI input. This area is entirely unconfigurable.

One way of approaching this is to use only pistons. If you learn to fully exploit the capabilities of the combination action in the Miditzer, there is little you cannot do with only the pistons.

Another approach would be to use a third party program to generate MIDI from the computer keyboard and route that into the Miditzer's MIDI Input. Perhaps this site will have something usable, perhaps the Mouse Keyboard.
http://www.bome.com/
Jim Henry

jgowen

Post by jgowen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:29 am

Fri 2/13/2015 8:24 am. I must respond to this. I used BOME for the exact purpose of translating various things to Miditzer, and I found that the free solution LoopBe1 or LoopMIDI + MidiOX is *much better*. And of course $0. I blather one about it endlessly @ http://owenlabs.org/nordn4.htm#bome.

jgowen

Post by jgowen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:43 am

Fri 2/13/2015 8:39 am. P.S. I see that my preferred LoopMIDI+MidiOX *won't* translate keypresses, and BOME does. Sorry....

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:55 am

IF Bome's Mouse Keyboard will do the job, all it costs for personal use is a postcard to the author.

I hadn't considered the omnipotent Midi-Ox. While it probably won't do the job in any obvious, straightforward way, I would never say Midi-Ox can't do anything MIDI related. I have been surprised several times by things it can do if you dig into it.
Jim Henry

jgowen

Post by jgowen » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Sun 2/15/2015 9:58 pm. Well actually I went and checked and MidiOX *does* have a PC keyboard thing: "Action / keyboard" produces a fixed repertoire of notes per an assortment of PC keys; much like Miditzer. The Bome Mouse/Keyboard looks far more flexible.

Using the Miditzer "built-in" PC keyboard combination buttons is still the easiest/most likely route.

-- jgo * owenlabs.org