Latency Issue

You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
Mr. William
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Latency Issue

Post by Mr. William » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi All!

I am new to the Miditzer but not new to organ playing or midi. My questions are this...can the latency/delay issue be resolved or is the Miditzer copying the delay as on a real Theater Pipe Organ?
last one...How do you or can you restore the factory pistons to the original settings? I erased them by accident :oops:

Thanx for the help!

Bill

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Latency Issue

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 pm

The latency issue can be improved upon by tweaking FluidSynth settings to better match your hardware. We are hoping to make some improvements to the Miditzer in this area sometime this year (but no promises). There is a lengthy and very technical discussion about this in the Development Labs area. There are other less technical discussions scattered about but I can't put my finger on a good one at the moment.

While I often use the "excuse" of latency in real pipe organs, latency was not deliberately added to the Miditzer to enhance realism. It is the product of the time it takes a software synthesizers, such as the FluidSynth synthesizer that is installed and configured by default, to generate an audio signal and transfer it to the audio hardware.

If you want to be precise, there is no latency to speak of in the Miditzer. The Miditzer does not produce sound, only MIDI commands for producing sound. The production of the MIDI messages is quite fast. The time consuming task is turning the MIDI commands produced by the Miditzer into sound and that task is not done by the Miditzer. You can configure other things to do the sound production task if you want.

If you don't have a lot of intricate settings, you can restore the factory piston settings by running "Miditzer Base Camp" from the Windows Start menu. This will also reset all the other settings to factory defaults. If you don't want to lose your settings, there is a way to only reset the pistons but I'll have try to remember what that is.
Jim Henry

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I fixed an issue with the search system. Searching for "FluidSynth latency" will probably give some useful results now.
Jim Henry

Mr. William

Post by Mr. William » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for the quick response!
I would be very interested in knowing what to tweak or where to go on the fluidsynth to help with the delay prob...I don't need perfect but I need better than it is as I plan on showing it off to some friends at the end of the month.
I will try the Base Camp for the preset issue...thanx!

Bill

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 am

This post has a simple approach to adjusting FluidSynth to reduce latency:
http://miditzer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3461
Jim Henry