Swell pedal and MIDI

You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
mardy
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Setting screen resolution

Post by mardy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Complete change since last query...now Orla GT 5000 and touch screen (win7) using Beta as recommended.....both manuals and pedal board working and will be easier to control as I gain more knowledge of stops etc.....problem now, is it possible to connect connect swell pedal ?...I suspect there is something re this in Forum but can't find ....advice appreciated...Regards Mardy.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Swell pedal and MIDI

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 pm

I'll be moving your post regarding connecting the swell pedal to "Connecting Keyboards".

The first step is to figure out if your swell pedal sends MIDI messages and what MIDI messages it sends. Use either your Owner's Manual or MIDI-OX to figure out the answers to those two questions.
Jim Henry

mardy

Post by mardy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for prompt reply......Do you sleep at all??/ Mardy.

compton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by compton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am

HI

found this link to the manual for the Orla
http://orladirect.co.uk/support/

Ian
compton

compton

Post by compton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:07 am

Hi mardy

by the looks of page 68 ..it appears not to send a signal out.

ian
compton

mardy

Post by mardy » Fri May 29, 2015 4:36 am

Hi ,,directed mainly to Compton'.s reply back a couple of years.....gave up the project and now back into it........am up and running with a new setup with GT5000 and using my pa system giving me great results and sound....as in the previous posts the big drawback is the swell pedal...using organ bass as complement to Miditzer does give a slight effect.....Any one any ideas on getting midi to volume pedal ?? Regards to all Mardy.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Swell pedal and MIDI

Post by Jim Henry » Fri May 29, 2015 11:47 am

Looking at the manual for the GT5000 that compton found, I think the Orla DOES send MIDI messages from the swell pedal. My best guess is MIDI CC 7 expression on Channel 16. Try making these Miditzer Settings and see if the Orla swell pedal moves the Miditzer's on-screen swell pedal:

On the Input tab, set Chan to 16 for the <auxiliary> Clavier (there is a good chance it is already set this way)

On the Expression tab,

set Swell Main to ON: aux CC: 7 leave Closed at 0 and Open at 127

check Use single swell pedal

leave Swell Threshold at 20

Click OK and close the Miditzer Settings

Cross your fingers and give it a try.

If this doesn't work, the next step will be to use MIDI-OX to look at what MIDI messages the Orla is actually sending. Look at the "Using MIDI-OX for Miditzer Users" to learn how to do that: http://miditzer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2719
Jim Henry

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sun May 31, 2015 1:26 am

Looking at the manual for the GT5000 that compton found, I think the Orla DOES send MIDI messages from the swell pedal. My best guess is MIDI CC 7 expression on Channel 16. Try making these Miditzer Settings and see if the Orla swell pedal moves the Miditzer's on-screen swell pedal:
A look into the MidiImplementationChart ( Page 68 ) confirms Jim's advice: volume data are sent on CC 7.

But IMHO you also might like to check the instruments Midi settings before trying.
( Page 64/ 65 )

Your ControlDisplay should show:
OUT Ch PC CC LC
Rt_1 1 on on on

Regards,
Hartmut ;)

mardy

Post by mardy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:48 am

thanks for both responses ..have had no luck so far but am rather vague on some of parts of suggestions....I am using a small and old pc down in the music den and will check to see if there is a photo program left in it and I can post a couple screens where I have doubt, and hope you gentlemen will clarify....I was not impressed with my first go with Miditzer a cuple of years back, but this time, and working properly, the results are amazing......at this stage I run Orla flutes on the 3 channels under the Mid. voices and thus can achieve a sensing of swell via Orla pedall....make-shift but does help expression......I am also running jOrgan / Christie set-up successfully with the same swell problem.....both programs make exciting music and learning possibilities..... Regards Mardy.

mardy

Post by mardy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:30 am

have 3 photos of settings screens.........Irfan View........can I forward these ?? mardy.