Splitting a Keyboard, ver. 0.8

You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Splitting a KeyboardIf you have only a single keyboard, you can configure the Miditzer to split the keyboard and use one keyboard for two manuals. This works especially well if you have a 76 or 88 note keyboard. The Miditzer Settings for splitting a keyboard are easier to do than explain. If this explanation doesn’t make sense, just experiment a bit and it will probably become clear.As a first step, the keyboard has to be connected and working as a single manual. Refer to the instructions for Connecting keyboards if necessary.Next set the devices and channels to be the same for the two manuals that are going to share the split keyboard: At this point, if you play the keyboard it should play both manuals. Now we are ready to split the keyboard. Start by setting the split point. You need to decide the range of keys that is going to be assigned to each manual. The Low and High settings for each clavier defines what range of the keyboard will control that clavier. Normally you will just set the Low note for the Solo and the High note for the Accompaniment to two adjacent notes. C4 is middle C. A split between F#4 and G4 is shown by the highlighted settings: The final step is to transpose the keys within each split range to provide the overlapping keys needed for organ literature. The following screen shows the keys of the Accompaniment portion of the keyboard transposed up one octave and the keys of the Solo portion of the keyboard transposed down one octave by the highlighted settings: The following picture shows how the keyboard keys relate to the on-screen keyboards for the above settings: Note that middle C (red dot) on the keyboard is one octave below middle C (blue dot) on the Solo and one octave above middle C on the Accompaniment. Because of the transpositions there are two octaves of overlapping keys from G3 to F#5. Jim Henry2006-09-11 14:03:56

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:11 pm

bump

JGCMiditzer
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by JGCMiditzer » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:08 pm

The above description of how to split a keyboard is very clear. My problem is that I do not see any columns after the channel number in the 3rd one.
I cannot therefor program a keyboard split.
Is this something to do with registration?
JGC

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:21 pm

JGCMiditzer wrote:The above description of how to split a keyboard is very clear. My problem is that I do not see any columns after the channel number in the 3rd one.
I cannot therefor program a keyboard split.
Is this something to do with registration?
JGC
Do you have ver. 0.80 of the Style 216 or later? It is new in those versions.

JGCMiditzer

Post by JGCMiditzer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 am

Jim
Thanks for the tip, I have now downloaded ver 0.80 and there are the required fields.
Is the split facility available for the 260 model?
Regards
Gordon Cooper

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:25 am

JGCMiditzer wrote:Is the split facility available for the 260 model?
Regards
Gordon Cooper
Not yet, but soon.

silentfilmmusic

Post by silentfilmmusic » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:48 am

Thanks, Jim, for adding this feature!  I often talk up the Miditzer at shows, and telling people who are interested that not only is it a free download, but that you don't need to buy a 2nd (or 3rd) keyboard to "get your feet wet" is a real plus. 

32footpedalpipe

Re: Splitting a Keyboard, ver. 0.8

Post by 32footpedalpipe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:37 pm

What do you do about the pedals?
32' pedal pipes combined with horn makes for a true theatre organ sound in movie music.

J. Sheak

Post by J. Sheak » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 pm

32footpedalpipe wrote:What do you do about the pedals?
In my current setup I use two keyboards. A 61 note for the solo, and an 88 note for the acc. On the piano (acc.) I split the keyboard itself assigning the apropriate midi channel to each section making the lower 20 notes the pedal. Difficult to play, but useful in recording.
John S

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 pm

Those, who can not wait until the 260SP is updated with the split feature, might want to make use the fantastic Midi-Ox features: Click Help, Contents, Mapping, Examples, Keybord Split...
Hartmut