Gulbransen KS 1B Piano Midi Interface

Comments and suggestions regarding Marketplace products
tomkarches
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Gulbransen KS 1B Piano Midi Interface

Post by tomkarches » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 pm

I picked up three Gulbransen FS 1B Piano MIDI interfaces at a swap meet. They were being sold as project boxes. Picture shows the front and back :

https://picasaweb.google.com/tkarches/V ... 8867968674

I found a link to a manual, which references a required SS88 sensor strip (which I do not have) to attach to the piano keyboard. Can anyone make use of these? I can't do much without a schematic.

They all power up, but that's as far as I can verify whether they work.

--tom

johnh
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Gulbransen KS 1B Piano Midi Interface

Post by johnh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:10 am

Here's a link to a PDF that describes the unit:

http://www.qrsmusic.com/downloads/pdf/om_70017.pdf

The 'sensor' strip is a row of mechanical optical switches that sits under the keys of the keyboard. Doesn't work well with many organ keys that are not flat on the bottom or piano keyboards that lack sufficient clearance to put the sensor strip between the keys and the keybed.

These are similar to what Wendy Carlos used to MIDIfy her grand piano, and her organ pedalboard.

I've got a complete system including synth if anyone is remotely interested. Never been installed!

tomkarches
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by tomkarches » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 pm

John,

Does the documentation for the unit include a schematic of the sensor strip and the pedal interface? I doubt it, but thought that I would ask.

Cheers,
Tom

johnh wrote:Here's a link to a PDF that describes the unit:

http://www.qrsmusic.com/downloads/pdf/om_70017.pdf

The 'sensor' strip is a row of mechanical optical switches that sits under the keys of the keyboard. Doesn't work well with many organ keys that are not flat on the bottom or piano keyboards that lack sufficient clearance to put the sensor strip between the keys and the keybed.

These are similar to what Wendy Carlos used to MIDIfy her grand piano, and her organ pedalboard.

I've got a complete system including synth if anyone is remotely interested. Never been installed!

johnh
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by johnh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Tom, the only information I have is similar to what's in the pdf that I linked to. I'd have to dig out the sensor strip to take a look and see if the circuit is obvious. Both the keys and pedals are sensed with switch closures, the ones on the key sensor being optical gates (ie a chopper moves between and emitter/detector pair). In some version the pedals were sensed with the same switches or in some cases magnetic (reed) switches. I'll see if I can dig out my sensor strip...