Wurlitzer 950 theatre organ

Comments and suggestions regarding Marketplace products
kperry
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Wurlitzer 950 theatre organ

Post by kperry » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 pm

I wish that someone would develop this idea into a software and call it miditzer 950. What do you think?
I even found a video of it in action!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qX6AUA8OeI

kperry

Re: Wurlitzer 950 theatre organ

Post by kperry » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:30 pm

rmac
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by rmac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Why not just go out and buy the organ? Particularly if you like electronic organs. I didn't hear any thing that sounded like a theatre pipe organ.

Bob The Virtual Organist.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:03 am

These days you can't even give away most electronic organs. There is no reason to make a software version of one. Despite the Wurlitzer name, there is no resemblance between Wurlitzer pipe organs and Wurlitzer electronic organs beyond their both being organs.
Jim Henry

kperry

Post by kperry » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 am

Jim Henry wrote:These days you can't even give away most electronic organs. There is no reason to make a software version of one. Despite the Wurlitzer name, there is no resemblance between Wurlitzer pipe organs and Wurlitzer electronic organs beyond their both being organs.
oh

StentorVox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by StentorVox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:42 pm

I got one of these two manuals with that mono mini-keyboard when my passion for organ first kindled. When it was stolen, I got another one - housed in a white theatre horseshoe version designated 950-TA. It was OK - better than most for an electroid of the era - until it gave up the ghost. It developed problems not possible for me to ameliorate with my limited tech skills, although I bought a service manual and did all I could. I even tried to replace the obit synth with a MIDI keyboard - to no avail.

So I gutted it and used the amps, speakers and keyboards with a different console - and then I discovered MidTzer that had just appeared and my life was changed forever - What Bruce had brought to the world with truer sounds than electronics could produce, coupled with the playable computer screen console that Esq, Jim developed far outstripped the electronorgans of that era. Realism - plus portability and affordability!

Since then, I use that gutted console as my workstation for developing my other MIDI consoles and the vade mecum tutorial I wrote to help others maximize their own encounter with the King of Instruments.

Although the 950 had a superior theatre sound for that era (when sounds of most electroids were causing society to flee organ as a serious instrument), it probably would be a giant step backwards to leave today's advancement of MidiTzer and similar software that followed Jim's promotion, to recreate those tones there.

If you want to do it yourself that's OK by me, but given the opportunity to hear today's advanced soundfonts or the previous sounds, I believe most of us would play today's unhesitatingly.

But if there were not today's soundfonts and Esq. Jim's way to harness them using a keyboard plugged into a computer, that instrument would top potential to bring back the creative music a generation had lost.

pk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.