going crazy

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
wally
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

going crazy

Post by wally » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi,
I am an old man so bear with me. First. I had sticking keys with my yamaha keyboard playing through the miditzer 216.881 Changed my usb cable and no help. Plays fine with the computer keyboard. Uninstalled and installed several times and no help. Finally downloaded older version 216.4 and does not stick. My biggest problem is combination memory. It does not work at all on either 216.881 or 216.4 I did save as when I first started and extention on file was .cbo. When I tried to load them, they came up as a .mpi extention which my windows interactive program tried to open. Do I manually create the combinations or do they come preloaded. I know the older version has 100 memories and the newer one 10. Your videos show the older version 216 so bo the comination buttons work the same on the new one? I am sorry to be a pest but I love the sound of this and would play some beautiful church music if I could get it figured out.
Thank You,
Walter

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: going crazy

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:38 pm

wally wrote:My biggest problem is combination memory. It does not work at all on either 216.881 or 216.4
Hi Walter. That's quite a bit to cover, so I'm going to focus on the combination action for the moment since you say that is your biggest problem.

First, I'd like to clarify what version you are using. Is it 0.881 that gives you problems with sticking notes and 0.84 that works? I am surprised that 881 would have sticking notes while 84 does not. If you have a version where the notes don't stick, then let's just go with it. I just need to have the version number of what you are using so I can try to hit any version specific details.
wally wrote:I did save as when I first started and extention on file was .cbo. When I tried to load them, they came up as a .mpi extention which my windows interactive program tried to open.

First, go to your Windows menu and select "Miditzer 216 Base Camp". Say Yes to the questions asking if files should be reset to their default values. You will have to set things for your hardware so make notes of what those settings are before returning to Base Camp. I need you to do this so I know where you are at settings wise.

Go ahead and set the MIDI Input device and MIDI Channels so your keys work.
wally wrote:Do I manually create the combinations or do they come preloaded.

A set of combinations come preloaded and returning to Base Camp reloaded them. You can create your own too, but let's leave that for later.

Try pressing a combination button (the ones under the manuals) on the screen with the mouse. You should hear a "clunk clunk" and the stops for that manual should be set. If you press the CAN piston, all the stops should turn off.
wally wrote:I know the older version has 100 memories and the newer one 10. Your videos show the older version 216 so both the comination buttons work the same on the new one?
Don't worry about memory levels just yet. Stay on memory level S1 with the top left indicator lit. There is nothing preloaded in the other memory levels.

Are things working as expected thus far?

How do you activate the combinations when you are playing? Mouse (or touch) on screen? Computer keyboard? Buttons on your keyboard?
Jim Henry

wally

Post by wally » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi,
In response, I am using .881 and yes the keys stick on it and not the .84. Followed your instructions and so far all is o.k. S1 button sets some stops and i can play them. Midi settings are solo acc. and pedal are all set on channel 1 on both sides I haven't done anything to transpose until I here from you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I used to belong to psr performers page and seems like if you are not a professional, nobody wants to help. But this site is different. Thank you.
Wally

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Tell me about your organ hardware setup so I can offer more specific guidance.

Use version 0.84 for the time being. The sticking notes in 0.881 is likely to be a tough issue to track down. Better to spend your time playing music.
Jim Henry

wally

Post by wally » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Jim,
I am running an amd athalon 64 3200+
2.21 ghz
896 mb ram.

My organ is a single keyboard Yamaha Tyros. I have a usb port on the organ running directly to the usb on the pc. There is a midi in and midi out port on the organ as well and if I can find a cable, I will try to see if hooking it up that way makes a difference. You suggested using the 216.84 until we get the bug worked out of the other. I removed the .84 when I installed the .881 to keep from getting a conflict. So now after going to 117 different sites to get the .84 back, I can't find it. All the sites now have the .881. Maybe God is trying to tell me he doesn't want me playing the 216. L.O.L.
Thanks,
Wally

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 pm

A copy of the Miditzer 216 software ver. 0.84 can be found here:
http://www.virtualorgan.com/downloads/d ... 0&iType=17
You should be able to have both versions installed as long as you rename the directories where they are installed to be different during the installation process.

It's possible that using a 5 pin MIDI cable hookup will solve the stuck note problem but I'd be surprised if it did. I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for your MIDI to USB cable. I would check the Yamaha web site to be sure you have the latest USB-MIDI driver:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model

To move you toward a playable configuration, did you have the keyboard split and transpose working to your satisfaction earlier? If so, go ahead and set that up. It isn't going to affect things as far as the combination action goes.

Ideally we will find buttons on the Tyros that transmit MIDI Program Change messages because those will control the combination pistons. I took a quick look at the Tyros documentation (whew! that is one powerful keyboard) and I think it may take a button press plus a screen action to send a program change. You might be able to do something with the registration memory buttons but I'm not sure. Either you are going to get lucky or you are going to have some digging to do to find buttons on the Tyros to control the pistons. What you could do is set the Auxilliary channel to match the Solo channel on the Miditzer Input setup screen. Then try the various buttons to see if anything activates a piston. The Voice buttons are the most likely to control the pistons.
Jim Henry

greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I would suggest that the low RAM value is possibly the reason for stuck notes. It is my opinion that with anything less than 1.5GB RAM Windows needs to rely heavily on swap files. This is not good for a live virtual instrument like Miditzer.
Rick

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Good catch Rick. That is an absurdly small amount of RAM for any modern system. I think 4Gb is now the recommended minimum RAM for Windows 7. I remember when 4GB was a HUGE hard drive and 1Mb was a lot of RAM. :shock:
Jim Henry

wally

Post by wally » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:13 am

Hi,
Thanks Jim and Rick for input. A year ago I had my computer worked on as i had some conflicts with it .Originally I had a totally non-propriatary system where I could add various hardware. They burned up the original motherboard and replaced it with one that is self contained, sound card etc. I think the RAM is non upgradable but I am checking that out. If worse comes to worse, and I can get the wifes permission LOL I will see about buying a laptop just for this program. Might be worth it. Hey, thanks for all the help, no way I could figure this out by myself.
Wally

wally

Post by wally » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Jim,
I de-fragged my hard drive and eureka, no more sticky keys. Hope that is all it was as it is working well. You are right, some of the tyros buttons affect the miditzer. I haven't figured out many of them but one of them drops the solo keyboard down an octave. Might come in handy. Now I'm going to find more. Will keep you posted as it might help someone else.
Thanks Again,
Wally