Question on setting combinations

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
dlgabry

Question on setting combinations

Post by dlgabry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Hello,
Sanity check please! I've watched the video tutorials several times and played with it on the pc, but my feeble mind is still not quite understanding it all. It looks like the piston settings are divisional as long as mapping mode is not active, but if mapping mode IS active the pistons are general? So if I want to have a single piston to control stops for the solo, accomp, and pedals I have to run with the map button on all the time? Am I getting this right?

Dave

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Question on setting combinations

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 am

No. There is ALWAYS a piston map in effect. The MAP button is for putting the Miditzer in the mode where the maps can be seen and set. You do NOT want the MAP piston lit while you are playing.

Two types of maps are provided with the Miditzer. The S1 level includes a map that limits the effect of each piston to a division, as the original Wurlitzer combination action did. The S2-S5 and A1-A5 levels include maps that allows each piston to affect all stops, i.e. makes all the pistons general pistons.

If you want to have general pistons, the easiest thing to do would be to only use combination memories other than S1 and not worry about how to change the piston maps.

Hope this helps.
Jim Henry

dlgabry

Post by dlgabry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks Jim, I understand it all now!! I hadn't played with setting combinations until yesterday. I think that part of my confusion was that the accomp pistons on the S1 memory level for pp, mf, and ff also set some of the pedal stops. If that's not how it's supposed to be, I must have messed things up somewhere along the line. The maps for those three pistons show that they have the accomp and pedal stops all on. Easy enough to fix.
Many thanks!
Dave

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am

The original Wurlitzer combination action does include the Pedal stops with other divisions. The reason that the pistons aren't generals is that there wasn't a sufficient amount of air available to actuate that many stops at the same time. But there was enough air to do the Pedal stops plus one manual worth of stops.
Jim Henry

dlgabry

Post by dlgabry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks Jim!!

kperry

Post by kperry » Wed May 17, 2017 3:56 pm

what does the map piston do while not playing

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm

The MAP piston is one of the few things that is not found on an original Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ. It is part of the Miditzer's combination action that was designed to help the player of a virtual organ overcome some of the deficiencies they are likely to have in their physical consoles as compared to having a real Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ console.

The Miditzer's combination action map is an array of data that controls what stops are affected by each piston. There isn't any equivalent to this on a real Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ console. (The combination action is a part of the console and it is "invisible" to the rest of the organ.)

The MAP piston puts the Miditzer's combination action into map mode where the map rather than the combinations are displayed and set. You don't want to be in map mode when you are playing because the pistons will turn on every stop that they control and turn off every stop they don't control rather than turning on the combination of stops associated with that piston.

You don't want the SET piston to be on when you are playing either because that will set, rather than recall, the combination of stops associated with that piston.
Jim Henry