3. Combination Action, part 1

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 am

Combination Action, part 1By Wes TriggerThe PistonsThe combination pistons provide the capability to engage a group of stops with the press of a button.  That is a feat that would be difficult if not impossible to accomplish by selecting stop tabs by hand while playing. The pistons are located on the organ console below the manual they are associated with and are activated with a finger press.  The pedal pistons are located just above the pedal board and are activated by the feet. Pressing a piston sets and clears stops as necessary to set the combination of stops called for by the piston that was pressed. Stops may be added or removed by hand to modify the registration set by a piston.The first five solo pistons are labeled from soft, p, to very loud, fff. The indicators on the first five pistons are p, mf, f, ff, fff the remaining five pistons are labeled one through five.The first five Accomp pistons are labeled from very soft, pp, to loud, ff. The indicators on the first five pistons are pp, p, mf, f and ff. The remaining five pistons are labeled one through five.The toe studs are not labeled on a Wurlitzer TPO.  Identical toe studs to the right of the three toe studs used to engage the pedal combinations are used to activate sound effects.  Missing a combination on a toe stud can result in a very audible announcement of the error!The first five pistons on each manual are usually set to complement one another. The numbered pistons are set to unique groups of stops. On a TPO the tabs associated with these pistons can be set by use of a device known as a setter board.The Miditzer implements these pistons as shown in the following diagram: The pistons may be engaged in a number of ways.Point at the piston with the mouse and left click to engage the piston.Use the PC keyboard keys to engage the pistons.The function keys F1 through F10 on the PC keyboard will engage the pistons under the Solo keyboard p through 5.The number keys on the PC keyboard 1 through 0 will engage the pistons below the Accomp keyboard pp through 5. The letter keys QWE on the PC keyboard will engage the three Pedal pistons 1 through 3.The letters R through O engages the toy pistons.There Miditzer implements both general and divisional cancels.The Delete or Backspace will engage the general cancel – All stops off.Insert or Home will cancel all stops on the Solo manualPage Up will cancel all stops on the Accomp manualPage Down will cancel the pedal stops (this will become End in the future)End will cancel the tremulants (this will become Page Down in the future)The “]” character will toggle MAP Mode – More in the next sectionThe “\” character will toggle SET – Sets a combination pistonThe “=” character toggles MEM – More in the next sectionThe Enter key sets RES – Restores the last hand registration made before pressing pistons. When you run the Miditzer for the first time, it will set combinations to get you started. Your combination settings are stored in a filed named Miditzer.cbo that is in the same directory as the Miditzer.exe program file, usually C:/Program Files/Miditzer Style 216.  If you delete or rename Miditzer.cbo, the Miditzer will recreate the original combination settings.Original Wurlitzers provide only divisional combinations meaning that the pistons under a manual can change only stops associated with that manual. The initial settings of the Miditzer mimic that behavior. Click any of the pistons under the solo manual and you will see that the Solo stops and the tremulants are set to various combinations. Try the same with the Accomp pistons and the three pedal pistons.Traditionally the lettered pistons are set to general ensemble registrations from soft to loud, p to fff and the numbered pistons are set to distinctive registrations. The Solo and the Accomp are often set to work together. The Solo p paired with Accomp pp and so on. In the Miditzer the Accomp piston pp, mf and ff also set the pedal pistons 1, 2 and 3. This is a common modification to Wurlitzer pistons.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 18, 2006 6:31 am

Great information.
I saved it to my documents.
Thanks
Giles

aussiedave
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by aussiedave » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Excellent. I have printed this out so I can keep it handy as a reference sheet. So far I am playing MidiTzer from one keyboard only with both manuals and pedals appearing on it. Works better than you think!

I checked yesterday on old defunct keyboard here which has less than full size keys and limited octaves- BUT - it still outputs to MIDI- so once I purchase another interface and find a way to mount it- it will double for solo stuff where i need to contrast one against the other. Pedals somewhere down the track.

However my most pressing need is to learn to use pistons and combinations- so far I have been  hand setting which on comp with mouse is slow and tedious- when recording with Audacity I have to double back afterwards and delete the silent portions where I am reregistering! Ouch. Most unmusical!

So finding this is most timely- next learning curve coming up!
Dave

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Be sure to check out the video tutorials on the combination action by following the Miditzer Help link at www.VirtualOrgan.com.

Stefanuk

step by step explanation of how to use combination pistons i

Post by Stefanuk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Does anyone have a step by step explanation of how to use combination pistons, S's and A's, memory buttons and such for 260? I understand the basics, but beyond that was not able to locate any videos or guides for the 260. There is one for the older/simpler version, I get that, but I am still confused how to program combinations for either single manual or entire organ and such. I have read somewhere that in S2-5 all buttons affect all manuals (by default...) so I am trying to locate this default and also learn the difference between A's and S's...

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: 3. Combination Action, part 1

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 pm

I am going to assume that you have viewed the series of five (?) videos that explain the combination action and that you just need help updating what you saw there to the current version. The use of the combination action is almost identical between all Styles of the Miditzer.

The version of the Miditzer used for the videos provided 100 memory levels numbered 00 to 99. More recent versions have reduced the number of memory levels to 10 (really 11 but ignore the 11th level for now). This simplifies the selecting of a memory level using the combination pistons. You now need only two piston presses rather than three. Press MEM to go into memory level select mode and then press one of the numbered pistons on either the Solo (Great on the 260SP) or the Accompaniment to select one of 10 memory levels which are designated S1 to S5 and A1 to A5 to indicate which piston will select the level.

If you don't have real pistons, including a real MEM piston, you will probably find it easier to select memory levels by clicking on the S1 to S5 and A1 to A5 designations on the Memory Level indicator panel.

You have complete control over how the combination action works by using the Mapping feature. The default makes the first memory level, S1, work like an original Wurlitzer, namely divisional pistons. The default for the remaining memory levels is to make the pistons act as general pistons that affect all stops on the console. The basic idea is that in map mode you set whether or not a stop is affected by a piston. The Map is set just like a Combination but the stops that are On are controlled by the piston and the stops that are Off are unaffected by the piston.

Mapping is very powerful but also a bit hard to grasp and tedious to set up. (It is WAY better than a real Wurlitzer though.) I would suggest you digest the above material about selecting memory levels and ask any questions needed to get a good grasp of that much. Then go back and watch the video that covers mapping again and see if it makes more sense on a repeated viewing.
Jim Henry

ChasWood

Post by ChasWood » Sat May 05, 2012 11:55 am

Help needed to set up Divisional Combinations on the pistons in Memory.

Greetings from England.

I'm new to the MidiTzer but have been playing theatre organs for about 25 years now. First of all, may I say how wonderful it is to now be producing WurliTzer sounds in my home.

I've started off with one 61 note keyboard, an E-Mu Vintage Keys and will soon buy a second keyboard which will probably be an M-Audio 61es. I first have to work out how to connect two keyboards via a Steinberg MI4 midi interface with only one Midi In and Midi Out sockets. I also need to work out how to get swell pedal signals out of the E-Mu.

The problem I'm having at the moment is in setting divisional combinations on the pistons in spite of having gone through the videos several times. On S2 ad A2 memories I don't get all the stops selected when I go to Map and in all memory locations whatever I do I can't get only Solo stops on the Solo pistons or Accompaniment stops on the Acc. pistons.

Could someone kindly give me an order of button presses that would enable me to set up these divisional settings? I'm going to be over in Las Vegas on holiday now until May 20th so there is no hurry. Thanks.

markey111

Post by markey111 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:36 pm

quick question are there any midi settings and keyboard shortcuts for the combination memory buttons A1/S1 thru 5 etc

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

ChasWood wrote:Help needed to set up Divisional Combinations on the pistons in Memory.
Could someone kindly give me an order of button presses that would enable me to set up these divisional settings? I'm going to be over in Las Vegas on holiday now until May 20th so there is no hurry. Thanks.
Maybe the wording in this post will help with where you are up to?

http://site.virtualorgan.com/community/ ... map#p22153

Regards
Rick
Rick

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 pm

markey111 wrote:quick question are there any midi settings and keyboard shortcuts for the combination memory buttons A1/S1 thru 5 etc
When you press the "MEM" piston, the "S"olo and "A"comp pistons 1 to 5 now change the "MEM"ory level.

You can trigger all the "Pistons" and the "MEM" piston using Midi messages.

Once you have pressed one piston, the "MEM" button drops out, so the pistons revert to normal function.

No, there are no PC keyboard or Midi settings directly linked to the memory A1/S1 through 5 etc.

Regards
Rick
Rick