toe piston allignment

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
jeff

Post by jeff » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Hello all,  I'm building my Miditzer from a 2 manual Wurlitzer console that has seen better days. Today I removed the toe piston blocks and the swell shoes to begin work on the pedal board and discovered that it originally had only one swell shoe (it has two now a swell and a creshendo). I can see from the old screw holes that the toe piston blocks were mounted close to the original swell shoe but when they moved them out to accomadate the additional expression pedal, they seem to have just relocated them at an arbitrary distance from the expression pedals.  That said, my question is: should the toe pistons be a certain distance from the expression pedals or in a particular allignment with the pedal board or is it just a matter of preference?Thanks, Jeff

engrssc
Moderator Group
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by engrssc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:14 pm

My Rodgers 340 has 2 expressions pedals (1 each for Main and Solo "chambers") and 1 - Crescendo. (Left to right) The pedals are offset to the right leaving more room on the left and approx half as much on the right. Therefore I have mounted 10 toe pistons (2 rows of 5 each) on the left. On the right side of the exp pedals, I have 8 toe pistons (2 rows of 4 each).
One consideration is to not mount them too high (above the pedal clavier) as I find it difficult to see the ones on the upper row. I remember one organist saying he "felt around with his foot" for the right one. For me, that could be "risky".

I'm planning to post some pictures of my makeover soon. Need to downsize them to fit.

Some organs have toe pistons mounted on the pedal clavier itself. You can kinda see what I mean on the 216 console pictured on Graham's web site
GW Virtual Theatre-Classical Organ

Rgds,
Edengrssc2007-01-29 18:19:54

jeff

Post by jeff » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:03 pm

Ed,  These are the original Wurlitzer toe pistons, mounted on the pedal clavier. I have a Radgers too, so I'm familiar with the toe studs on the knee board. I'm just not sure where Wurlitzer would have put them had there originally been two epression pedals. I guess I need to find some pics of one that has not been monkeyed around with.  Jeff

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Here's a picture of an original Wurlitzer pedalboard. (Los Angeles Orpheum Style 240):virtualorgan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=242

jeff

Post by jeff » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Jim,  Thanks. Do you know, was the third expression pedal added later? I see that the expression pedals are usually off center to the right but I'm guessing that this is due to pedals being added? Would the orginal configuration have all the expression peddals centered regardless of how many of them there were?Jeff

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 pm

The Orpheum is as delivered by Wurlitzer.