Non-organist needs advice

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
Roland

Post by Roland » Mon May 28, 2007 5:27 pm

I logged on recently trying to figure out a way to load a real pipe organ sound into my keyboard's user memory.  It's apparently not that simple if it can be done at all. One of the forum members informed me of the Rodgers XV-200 which is very similar to my Roland XV-2020 and would suit my purpose quite well except for one major problem. It cost $2400. Since I take my keyboard around to a nursing home and assisted living home, I would like to travel as light as I can. But it seems like I would have to carry a laptop to load the Midizer into to have access to the various stops which I don't have a clue how to use except what sounds best. Since I'm not an organist and would never use hardly any of the stops nor pedals, what is the easiest way to get at least some decent "pipe organ" sound into or out of a keyboard? Any advice and instruction would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Roland

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 am

Hi Roland,From a quick look at a description of the XV-2020 synthesizer module, I would expect that it has some organ voices available. Is that correct? In what way do you find them lacking?From what you have told us so far I don't think you can meet all of your objectives. We need to figure out a bit more exactly what you want to accomplish, what objectives have priority, and what objectives can be relaxed.

Roland

Post by Roland » Tue May 29, 2007 2:30 pm

The quality of the "pipe organ" voice in the XV-2020 does not have the quality of a good pipe organ.  I've heard better sounding pipe organs listening to the FM radio with a $10 pair of headsets. The Midizer might be the solution if I could download the voice with the proper stops for the best sound to my ears and then import to the XV-2020 or my Korg X5D synthesizer. It seems like it could be done through MIDI connections between my computer and the XV-2020 (or Korg X5D) except I don't know how to set up the Miditzer nor make the transfer. Is there any way to skin this cat?  Feel free to educate me concerning this matter.Thanks, Roland

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Tue May 29, 2007 6:49 pm

The $64 question is can either of those synthesizers be loaded with user created sounds? I don't know and it is unlikely that anyone here does.If one of them can be loaded, then the $128 question is how do you create sounds to be loaded? Probably won't get an answer to that here either.If it turns out that there is a way to transform samples from the sound font format to whatever format one of those synths might accept, we probably can help you find some sound fonts to use for that transformation.BUT, big caveat, if the organ samples you have sound bad, it may be because there are limitations in those synths that will be difficult to overcome. Roland has access to more resources and expertise than we can dream of. I'd be surprised if they didn't do pretty everything reasonably possible with that synth.Usually MIDI synths don't sound like organs because they can't be played like organs. I could be wrong but my hunch is you aren't going to be able to load any single "organ patch" into a synthesizer module and have it sound like an organ.I'd suggest connecting your keyboard to your home computer and playing around with the Miditzer for a couple of hours. You probably have all the gear you need to do this so the cost should be 0. The Miditzer is very easy to set up. You'll learn much more about what makes an organ sound playing around with an organ than I'll ever be able to explain. Once you have some things you like at home, then you might be in better position to decide what you want to take on the road and how you can do that.

andyg
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by andyg » Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 am

The short answer is that you can't do it.

To put a sound into a keyboard's user memory voices, it has to be in that instrument's own format. You can't just take a Rodgers or Miditzer or Yamaha sound and put it in there, sorry.

Some keyboards come with sampling software that would let you play a sound on one instrument, sample it, then edit it as required and then load it in. Heck, my £150 Casio does that, but it's a pig to do and takes some expertise.

There are pipe organ modules around other than the Rodgers, but they're not cheap.