Compact-Theatre Console

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
Phibes
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Compact-Theatre Console

Post by Phibes » Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 pm

I have put together a fairly compact 3 manual console that looks rather like a typical theatre style organ console. Everything is downsized, using 49-note manuals and 13-note pedals. The console itself, paint included, costed me under $70 USD. It really has a great feel to it. I have yet to add authentic pistons to it (they are currently activateed using a series of pads and buttons on the solo manual, and I may eventually add "dummy" stoprails simply for aesthetics. I don't really run Miditzer that much anymore, though. I generally use an open-source Barton sample set put together by Graham Goode, Joe Hardy, and Lynn Walls. The set is fantastic, and all samples are from the 3/10 Barton in the Redford Theatre in Detroit. The current organ is a 3/12, using the two strings sampled together to create 3rd and 4th string ranks. The unification is surprising, with the Kinura available at both 16' T.C. and 8', a diapason twelfth,string mutations, and 9 16' extentions in the pedal, plus a 32' Bourdon. It is available for Hauptwerk for free.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reuel

Re: Compact-Theatre Console

Post by reuel » Thu May 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Miditzer trademark is derived from two words "MIDI" & "Wurlitzer", I think. Hence Miditzer should have nothing to do with a Barton sampleset. A Barton sampleset will not imitate a real "Wurlitzer" Theatre Organ.

1. The Barton 3/12 is NOT "open source" since Haulptwerk is NOT an open source program unless your are talking about Barton 3/7 on Grandorgue.
2. The 3/12 sampleset was created by Graham Goode who used samples originally sampled byJoe Hardy and Lynn Walls. Whether Joe or Lynn agreed or not who knows.

Phibes

Post by Phibes » Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm

reuel wrote:Miditzer trademark is derived from two words "MIDI" & "Wurlitzer", I think. Hence Miditzer should have nothing to do with a Barton sampleset. A Barton sampleset will not imitate a real "Wurlitzer" Theatre Organ.

1. The Barton 3/12 is NOT "open source" since Haulptwerk is NOT an open source program unless your are talking about Barton 3/7 on Grandorgue.
2. The 3/12 sampleset was created by Graham Goode who used samples originally sampled byJoe Hardy and Lynn Walls. Whether Joe or Lynn agreed or not who knows.
Actually, the samples were used entirely with permission from both Joe and Lynn, both of whom were and still are active in the entire project. There are different sets of samples used for Miditzer that use non-Wurlitzer sampled ranks, therefore I do not understand why you felt the need to point that out. I am not attempting to imitate a Wurlitzer. If I was, I would use Wurlitzer pipe samples. although, I can almost guarantee you that a large number of organists could not tell you what builder manufactured the pipes simply by the sound of them.

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Phibes,

I read in another thread that your are an eighth grader. I must say you are an exceptionally bright, knowledgeable, and creative teenager! Nice work on your console :)

Joe Hardy

Phibes

Post by Phibes » Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 pm

toplayer2 wrote:Phibes,

I read in another thread that your are an eighth grader. I must say you are an exceptionally bright, knowledgeable, and creative teenager! Nice work on your console :)

Joe Hardy
Thanks! I'm going to be going into my second year of high school now. I will say, I'm one of few who even know what a theatre organ is. Amazing how forgotten it really is.

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:26 am

Might this be you in the video? Nice playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obIkY7so65k

Joe Hardy

WillShaker

Post by WillShaker » Sat May 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Phibes,

Just ignore Reuel, :lol: most of us want to see your console and hear you playing on that console.

Those of us that qualify as seniors realize that guys like you are the future of the theatre organ.

As one who built a console from scratch, I appreciate seeing your effort in creating your virtual theatre organ and would love to see it from different camera angles.

Well done!

Will

compton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by compton » Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 am

Hi

ditto to the previous post--- can we have a shot of the console from the front please :D

ian
compton

compton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by compton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:09 am

Hi all

I just want to see photo's of the front of the console........so leaving the politics behind :D

ian
compton

Joe Roberts
Groupie

Re:Phibes on utube

Post by Joe Roberts » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 pm

:D WOW...I've watched the video and was flabergasted and amazed.....we have a young Cameron Carpenter in the making....just add a 32 pedal clavier on his home set-up and....whalaa....!!!