Using the IPAD app Touchosc

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
johnr
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Using the IPAD app Touchosc

Post by johnr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm

The TouchOSC app for the ipad provides an easy way of setting and resetting the elements on the Miditzer console. To find out what effect a stop has, just touch the ipad (located on the music rack) while pushing a pedal or pressing a key. Up till now it just wasn't practical with my setup with the desktop pc located next to the keyboards. I have attempted to maintain the character of the stops while living within the constraints of the app.

I must say that the amount of nitty gritty was very rote and time consuming but also very rewarding. The TouchOSC app reminds me of a graphical system (used many years ago) called GEM. The app is significantly less capable but has the feature that it relates the touch screen to midi commands. The creation of a push button, toggle button, and a fader was very useful.

People investing time and energy into the Miditzer may already have an ipad and for them, this is just another app - not a committed piece of the system but useful when sitting at the console. My understanding is that the on-stage use of the ipad is not uncommon. There is a lot of midi hardware being used for our entertainment.

I have been working on a Miditizer touch screen for both Miditzer models. The 260 is definitely pushing the number of buttons on a screen. The process is as follows:

1. Develop a screen with buttons, toggles, faders, etc for the ipad using the free TouchOSCeditor which can be downloaded for the pc.
2. Install rtpmidi, another free download to provide a wi-fi link for your ipad.
3. Sync the app.
4. Accept the screen from the pc using TouchOSC app on the ipad.

I would like to post the screens and the stops and pistons that I modified if someone is interested and I can figure out how that is done.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Using the IPAD app Touchosc

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Instructions for adding pictures are in this post:
http://site.virtualorgan.com/community/ ... =10&t=2336

I'm sure TouschOSC will be useful to many people. However, are you aware that if you have a touch screen display for Windows, then anything you can click with a mouse can be activated by touch? The Miditzer display is a pretty good touch interface with such a hardware setup and no additional software configuration is required.
Jim Henry

johnr

Post by johnr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I was not aware of the Windows touch screen. It has the advantage that the Miditzer screen is used directly. The Ipad TouchOSC has some advantages and some disadvantages.

Advantages:
1. The tablet sits on my organ's music rack beside the music, wirelessly connected to my PC.
2. In the absence of a Windows touch screen, it has liberated me to quickly try stop settings as a beginner.
3. The fader controls for the expression pedals cover two pedals that I am lacking.

Disadvantages:
1. The screen is different from the PC version and is necessarily packed.
2. The CANCEL control does cancel stops on the PC but does not cancel the settings on the Ipad.

I am including screen shots of both the 216 and 260 touchosc screen layouts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnr

Post by johnr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Here is the 260 layout and the exported stops csv file.

There is a TouchOSC control file which defines the screens - it is binary and can be provided if someone is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 am

I have found there is a TouchOSC app for Android, however its function is currently limited to the default templates loaded by the app.

I am experimenting with instructions in the apps forum to allow some customisation. This should at least allow the assignment of MIDI codes to suit Miditzer, however they state that even with this method of cracking the .apk and recompiling it, some functions like text labels are not supported on the Android platform.

I can say that the default templates do look nice and that the WiFi transmission of MIDI from the Android to the PC does trigger MIDI activity in MidiOx.

Regards
Rick
Rick

DickWilcox

Post by DickWilcox » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 am

John, any chance of getting a copy of your latest TouchOSC layout (extension is ".touchosc")? I am collaborating with Jim Henry and am proposing adding my OSC server to his Miditzer front-end processor. I tried to PM you but the link throws an error. I have been working with TouchOSC for my Uniflex relay software as well as the very powerful "Lemur" app. My OSC server handles bundled text commands and does not require a TouchOSC Bridge or a Lemur Daemon to be running on the PC. It also does not require mapping commands to midi.

If you see this (or anyone else who has been working with OSC layouts) you can contact me at the following email address:

dick@uniflex.com

Thanks,

Dick Wilcox

peteknobloch
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by peteknobloch » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome to the group Dick. I am interested but just don't have any time (or IPAD) to experiment with my new MidiBox OSC functions. I'm intrigued with how the interface can be configured for different applications. I'm interested in learning but sadly don't have any experience yet.

A friend wanted to agment more voices on his Rodgers 840 console so I designed a small Midi board that clips onto the 16 conductor ribbon cable going to the 3 keyboards which gives him Midi out. My current software project is to modify the MidiBox Midio128v3 software so I can control the voices on a synth from the console. This will also include a Midi Record/Playback feature using the SD cards for storage. This wouldn't have happened without the Midio128 V3 that was released a few years ago.

Pete