This is NOT a theatre organ!

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
balderson04
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

This is NOT a theatre organ!

Post by balderson04 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello, all:

Haven't had a chance to do more than troll around here for a while, as life has taken other directions since I started having fun with MidiTzer a couple of years back, but...

I thought you might like to see the Strand Lighting company's take on a Style 216.

This is actually a lighting control board for theatres from the 1950s. Stops and pistons are used to set up scenes, then the scenes are "played" on the keyboard, with the keys toggling the scenes on and off at each press.

The unit in the attached picture is actually called a 216!

Cheers,

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Roberts
Groupie
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: This is NOT a theatre organ!

Post by Joe Roberts » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

except for the weird keyboard, it could have fooled me.......
have never seen/heard of such a gadget......but maybe that's
where the idea and/or the nomenclature for the Miditzer
originated........mmmmm ???
Joe

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:17 am

Joe Roberts wrote:but maybe that's
where the idea and/or the nomenclature for the Miditzer
originated........mmmmm ???
Joe
No. The Miditzer originated from the Wurlitzer Style 216. I didn't hear of the Strand device until many years later. I'm not so clever as to be able to start from the Strand device and arrive at a theatre organ. :lol:
Jim Henry

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm

The layout of the manuals just looks like some I have seen as an attempt to realise the possibility to play pure harmonic scales on key instruments, with the fifth always in its correct frequency independent of the key of the scale. It can be regarded as a hardware solution of the "Wolves Quint - Problem", the temperaments like Werkmeister, Kirnberger etc beeing "software" compromises, which are slightly out of the musically corrrect tune.
PSE also look at: http://www.justonic.com/method.htm

BTW AFAIR: Silbermann organs, which were pure in C but produced the "Wolves Quint" when played with more distant scales. It is said that Bach, when he visited Silbermann used to tease him by modulating his pieces step by step to scales where the W-Q was worst.

Rgds
Hartmut

balderson04

Post by balderson04 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 am

WERSI-Tifoso wrote:It is said that Bach, when he visited Silbermann used to tease him by modulating his pieces step by step to scales where the W-Q was worst.
I didn't know "Vatti" Bach had a sense of humour! :D

David

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:59 am

balderson04 wrote:
WERSI-Tifoso wrote:It is said that Bach, when he visited Silbermann used to tease him by modulating his pieces step by step to scales where the W-Q was worst.
I didn't know "Vatti" Bach had a sense of humour! :D

David
Well, this is what we all think...but the first Biograph of Bach ,Forkel, indirectly states that there must have been some humour, when he describes scenes of the family life of Bach ( who was married two times and had 20 children):
‘Sie sangen nemlich nun Volkslieder, theils von possierlichem, theils schlüpfrigem Inhalt zugleich miteinander aus dem Stegreif [...] und konnten nicht nur selbst von gantzem Herzen dabey lachen, sondern erregten auch ein eben so herzliches und unwiderstehliches Lachen bey jedem, der sie hörte.’
:roll:

In English: They together sang folksongs off the cuff, partially with sweet, partially with sugestive content...and could laugh with all their heart and also made irresistibly laugh all the people, who listened to them. :roll:

Rgds
Hartmut

StentorVox

Post by StentorVox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Today's counterpoint is a MIDI-controlled lighting controller.

I have an NSI MIDI Lighting Controller with channels of sliders (that looks like a sound mixing board) to use for my theatrical productions.

Not only does it attach to the lighting power supply (where lights plug into each of the channels to operate live), each of the mixes can be saved to a MIDI signal and played back on a MIDI keyboard.

Simply mix the lights during dress rehearsal and save each light change on a MIDI musical keyboard. Then, during opening night simply play each lighting command for each note programmed on the keyboard to follow the cue sheet, and viola! Each signal follows the command to turn lights on or off or dim.

So your MidiTzer can do the same thing today!

Check eBay for NSI MIDI lighting controller for more information.

pk
StentorVox.com