Rick’s Miditzer

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 pm

I got the Swell pedal working from discussion on a different thread of the forum. 

http://www.jbwebserver.net/mforum/forum ... D=288&PN=9

I now have made up another Midi cable and connected my Casio keyboard in as a third keyboard.  I have set its Midi channel to 4 and the Miditzer second touch settings for Solo and Accomp both to channel 4.  This gives me the third keyboard playing any of the second touch voices on Miditzer 216.

My setting is not to glamorous and my layout is all temporary, but it works and sounds great through my new speaker system. greenfox2008-01-07 23:57:53

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm

The Conn 652 project has finished up very nicely.  We had a trial/demo night last night where it was put through its paces by its new owner and by 5 other VTPO enthusiasts, each themselves at different stages in this quest.  The organ was played using Miditzer both 260 and 216, and also with Hauptwerk.  The Hauptwerk Skinner organ certainly impressed but Miditzer 216 V881 was not to far behind.

For those interested, the Conn 652 lends itself to having MIDI added because it has spare switch wires under each note.  You only need to add in a 1/4" copper rod as the bus bar for each keyboard.  Our ingenious organ technician was able to use the existing pedal magnets and reed switch circuit boards to add a second reed switch for each pedal.  The Conn 652 already has 2x Swell pedals and we have added a potentiometer to the Tibia Swell pedal to be a single Swell for VTPO.  (The Conn expression pedals have spare positions for potentiometers and an organ tech with some spare parts will have a spare lever mechanism.)

This system has the full function of the original organ.  When looking at the organ there is no evidence of the Midi modification at all.  To use the Midi function you just need to connect the power supply and the Midi cable.  The Midi can be used without turning the organ on at all.  It can also be used with both the original organ and the Midi together.

The Midi function has been added using MidiBox.  3x keyboards, 32x pedals and 1x swell have been achieved using 2x MidiBox CORE and 7x MidiBox DIN.

(Pictures to come after the organ is installed in its home with its 6.1 channel audio system.)

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:18 am

Like Rick, I also have an old Yamaha console but my extra keyboard is a very cheap Chinese one which I am lucky to be able to modify.

By discarding the top cover and butchering the bottom casing this is where I've got to. No MIDI yet. The original organ is still playable so I have a hybrid.

EDIT: What I forgot to say is that I can't get the tuning to agree so it's not really playable for my ears!

Rick, any news on getting another recycled Yamaha keyboard to slot in?

Cheers
Graham

moonskin2008-01-08 03:47:35

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi Graham

Yours looks a lot neater than mine!

Regarding other keyboard options for mine, I have the option on a Roland bare keyboard at the moment, it has flush keys rather than a little overhang.  I have not pursued a Yamaha one fully yet.

With Midi for your project, have you considered putting a changeover switch on one of the buss bars of each of the keyboards so you could use Midi without killing the Yamaha?
You would only sacrifice 1x original voice when you were in Midi mode and be able to have all original organ with Midi switched off.
The way I have added magnets and reed switches to the pedals has left the original pedal switches fully functional.  (are your pedals rattly? mine drive me mad, I will need to look at more or thicker felt)

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Graham and Rick,
I'm not sure from the posts who wanted another Yamaha keyboard, but I will hopefully have one which is surplus to requirements very soon. I too  have gutted an old Yamaha (E70) 2x61 note manual  25 note pedalboard organ, and I hope I'm getting another one shortly to add a third manual, and perhaps to expand the pedals to 32 notes by borrowing the extra 7 pedals... I will also get a total of three expression pedals I hope.
And yes, I'm in Australia (Sydney), so keep in touch if you want another manual.

Cheers,

Andrew

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:58 pm

AndrewB wrote: Hi Graham and Rick,
I'm not sure from the posts who wanted another Yamaha keyboard, but I will hopefully have one which is surplus to requirements very soon. I too  have gutted an old Yamaha (E70) 2x61 note manual  25 note pedalboard organ, and I hope I'm getting another one shortly to add a third manual, and perhaps to expand the pedals to 32 notes by borrowing the extra 7 pedals... I will also get a total of three expression pedals I hope.
And yes, I'm in Australia (Sydney), so keep in touch if you want another manual.

As I'm closest to Sydney can I bags this one?

The keyboard I have slotted in is not the best even though it works! And having a real one would satisfy my partner's aesthetic requirements!

How are you placed Rick? I don't want to pinch it if you are really needing it!

Cheers
Graham

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi again,

I'll leave you two to fight over this keyboard.

I won't have it until next weekend, so you've got some time.

Cheers,

Andrew

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 am

Thanks for the offer Andrew.
Yes, Graham you can have this one.
TOSA-QLD has just collected this beast.  I think it will keep me out of mischief for quite some time.
greenfox2008-01-18 01:41:33

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Wow... 'keep me out of mischief for a while' is an understatement of the highest order.

Have fun!

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Dear all....
The spare keyboard is now claimed.
Cheers