Page 6 of 8

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:20 pm
by FlametopFred
Can I ask "what happens to the guts of those Electone organs?"
I would be interested in buying all the old electronics out of all those old Electones.

I would like to slave additional sound boards, likewise, make use of any older Electone 61-note keyboards, etc etc.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm
by elpaharo
FredAs I mentioned in the other post under "Installing The Miditzer" I have lots of D85 parts. What are you looking for?Bill

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:36 pm
by FlametopFred
Bill:
Thanks for reply.
 
I am looking, basically for "the guts" in any form or shape.
I am seeking to double up the sound.
 
What have you got?
Sound-generating circuit boards?
Solo-Synth circuit boards?
buttons?
service manual (w/schematic)
 
... is there a link to your other D-85 post?
( I am new here, have not read everything )
 
How easy was it to work on the D-85?
 
Cheers and thanks!

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:44 pm
by FlametopFred
I found the other post ... thanks!

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 pm
by greenfox
FlametopFred wrote:Can I ask "what happens to the guts of those Electone organs?"

 
Hello FlametopFred
 
I must admit that the electronics from my E5AR went out in the rubbish collection.  I would suggest that the weight of it would have made it quite expensive to ship from Australia to Canada.
 
I have never been a fan of the Yamaha Electone sound (I wouldn't call it an organ).  It was the 25 note pedal board, stool and 2x 61 note keyboards I wanted.  It has served that purpose for me perfectly.
 
Having seen another of your posts, I would just suggest you take the time to read as much as you can on this Forum.  A lot of the questions you may come up with have already been discussed.greenfox2008-02-13 23:28:39

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:43 am
by engrssc
To tag on to Rick's post, try using the Search function - top of the page. It can be very useful in finding subjects of interest. I usually go back beyond 6 months to find many basic topics that have been discussed a while ago. Come to think of it, 6 months isn't all that long.
 
Another point would be to start printing out topics even slightly associated with a project of interest. I file them in a 3 ring binder, looking back once in a while. Amazing things come to light.
 
Talking about amazing, it is amazing how Jim and many others here keep track of everything that was and is going on. Talk about a driving force, ever notice how many posts Jim has written or answered, yet he keeps moving us forward with an ever increasing pace. Thanks, Jim.
 
Rgds again,
Edengrssc2008-02-14 06:47:02

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:12 am
by greenfox
I have changed to a different system for my pistons.  Whilst it may not look like a factory job, it was low cost and has no mechanical issues to deal with.  The slim tactile switches have a good positive feel.  The boards are just held on with double sided tape.  I painted the vero board black before soldering on the switches.  I am going to add more switches so they will use all 32 inputs of a MidiBox DIN card.  The setup currently uses 1x CORE with 4x DIN cards for the 2x keyboards and 1x CORE with 2x DIN cards for the pedals, pistons and swell.  (The pedals, pistons and swell could just as easily be used with portable keyboards if desired.)  It is great to play with reliable pistons in a good position.
 

 

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:51 pm
by AndrewB
Hi Rick,
 
I wondered if you've had time to dream up a way of prettying up your thumb pistions. You're using the same switches I've used elsewhere on my project, but making the thumb piston setup both functional and good looking has stumped me, so I haven't done it yet.
 
I have a couple of bits of aluminium angle which I can paint black, drill holes in and all that (replacing the existing piston rails), but that only gets the top two manuals done - I'm still stumped on the bottom manual.
 
I've always wanted to remove the timber front rail of the Yamaha, to drill holes in it and fit pistons, but no matter how hard I strike that rail (with all the screws removed) it just won't budge. Have you had any success along those lines... or even had a go at it?
 
My system is posted in 'Show us Your Miditzer'-> 'Andrews Yamaha E-70 conversion'.
 
Cheers.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 am
by greenfox
Hi Andrew
 
No, I haven't had any thoughts on improving the appearance.  I am keen to add a few more switches to the cards as they are.  I have found it very functional as it is at the moment.
 
I have had thoughts about removing the timber front rail, but have not taken any steps to try.  I am interested to hear your comments about not being able to budge it when all undone.  My lower keyboard switches are just stuck on with double sided tape.
 
We have a new Miditzer convert!  On Sunday I went to a fellow organ buff.  He has a Conn 652 with Midi driving Roland sound modules.  He didn't think his Midi would connect to Miditzer.  We had it working in two minutes flat and he was very happy.  This success seems to have now set a further contact on a path to try it.
 
Your VTPO project is most impressive.  I am particularly intrigued with your customisable touch panel.  Very nicely done.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm
by AndrewB
Hi Rick,
 
A few further comments on the front rail... Most of the joints on the Yamaha seem to be glued and screwed, and I've been able to remove a lot of surplus bits and pieces in the organ body by undoing the screws and giving the surplus bit a good wack and off it comes. Unfortunately, the glue joint on the front rail seems to be just too long and I can't break it, at least not with any strength of wacking I'm comfortable with!
 
If and when I come up with an idea that works, I'll certainly post it on the forum.
 
Bye for now.