Yamaha FX-20 Miditzer

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
djs01
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by djs01 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:26 am

I use Miditzer from a Yamaha FX-20, a 1983 model organ using the same FM systhesis technology as the famous DX-7. Unfortunately it was made a year before MIDI interfaces became standard on all digital instruments.With assistance from several ex-Yamaha techs I got the circuit diagrams and was able to create my own MIDI interface without having to modify the organ at all.I designed a circuit that taps into the organ's digital multiplexor so there was no need to add switches or wiring to the keys. It also intercepts signals from the 256 buttons (each with a LED), 29 sliders and the analog expression and channel pressure circuits for each manual.The circuit is controlled by a custom program running on a PIC microcontroller. It has MIDI-in and MIDI-out ports and a serial port for uploading programs into the microcontroller.The main circuit PCB looks like this:And installed in the organ it looks like this:Since I write my own programs for the circuit I can assign any MIDI function I like to the buttons on the organ panel and there are enough to control every stop on the Miditzer 260-SP. Of course remembering which is which is tricky since the buttons have only their Yamaha labels on them. The circuit also works on an FS-70 of the same vintage.I run Miditzer on a Dell laptop.Thanks to the many folk who have assisted and encouraged me in this project, including Scott, Ted, John, another John, Gary, Ron and last but certainly not least - Jim and Jim.Happy Miditzering - David Scambler, Melbourne Australia.
djs012007-04-29 19:16:26

JWFK

Post by JWFK » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am

I have an FS70 using Davids midi arrangement and am very happy with it. I cannot praise David enough for his enterprise and ingenuity in making an older organ Midi capable and doing it so well. It was quite an experience with David in Australia and me in Canada getting this done but what a blessing it has been. Now the next move will be the Blackpool registrations to get them set up. Another problem for David.Jim Ketcheson in Bellebville, Canada

mvdd
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Yamaha FX-20 Miditzer

Post by mvdd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 am

Dear djs01,
Hi from Charleroi, Belgium.
I read your post with a great attention because I recently buy a second hand Yamaha FX-20.
As this instrument have no MIDI capabilities, I would add the electronics to do it.
I need "MIDI out" (all the keyins at the console encoded) but "MIDI in" (to command the organ with a PC, or other MIDI instruments, to change the stops,...) too.
You wrote that you have the circuit diagrams and that you have developped your own interface.
Is it possible for you to sell and send me a complete "kit" with the circuits diagrams and all the electronics (PCB's, components, flat wire, connectors,...) and the procedure to install it ?
What will be the price ?
With my very best regards,
mvdd.

djs01

Re: Yamaha FX-20 Miditzer

Post by djs01 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

My apologies mvdd.
I have just now seen your post.
If you are still interested in a copy of my circuits please email me at rumpus52@gmail.com.

regards
dave