Hello? Is this thing on?

Hang out chat, and share pictures and recordings with other organists backstage
johnh
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by johnh » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi All,
Just curious what everyone was up to... for my own part progress on my 'hobby' projects has slowed way down. I've done some travelling and I'm trying hard to find full-time employment. Things are tough out there.

Have all the problems in the MIditzer world been solved?

Has everyone 'defected' to the Paramount camp?

Has everyone posted pictures of their installations?

Has anyone recorded any good demonstration pieces lately?

Has anyone tried the new keyboards from Behringer ( $150 with USB per manual)?

So many questions... :lol:

compton

Re: Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Johnh

was starting to think whether the tumbleweed was rolling up the main street here!!

Well for me the a few weeks ago saw me on a Vtpo holiday and presenting 1/2 hr of music at a theatre organ afternoon club day.

i had the pleasure of playing many different set ups.
some Miditzer-----Jorgan----Artisian-----Hauptwerk----a good bit of everything and on different consoles.

It was a new organ every day!!
First day was Greenfox's yamaha.
Rick has done all the work himself and has converted an old 2 manual yamaha into a 3 manual.
Fully gutted and midi-fied the organ and also has added some pistons.
I got to hear and play the morning away--while testing different sound options--external sound cards---etc.

Rick has the organ is a nice home office room that has a wooden floor-with only a rug and curtains to help soak up the sound---giving the organ some natural reverb.
The 6.2 speakers system he has also gives the organ some good base/bottom end.
(pity the misses was still home as I would have loved to have upped the volume a notch or 5 :lol: :lol: )
With the rear speakers placed in bookshelves behind the organ you get and all round sound coming back to you, and gave you the impression when your eyes are closed of a much larger room that you are playing in.
there was not enough hours to talk/play VTPO that we wanted too! :(

ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by compton on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
compton

compton

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 pm

DAY 2

the chance to play a real theatre organ in the form of the Queensland theatre organ society and their Christie theatre pipe organ.

the organ is 3 manuals and 11 ranks.
the chambers are either side of the stage (you can just see the to the right of the piano behind the wooden slats).
the organ consists of:
French Trumpet---tuba--diapason---tibia---orch oboe--clarinet--solo string---vdo----vdo celeste---flute---vox plus traps etc etc. (http://www.tosa-qld.org/organs.html)

the school hall the organ is in is very large and has a nice wooden floor allowing the organ to have a bit of Blackpool bounce to the sound---it has couplers to get the Quint and tierce sound a-la Blackpool.

the afternoon club day consisted of myself playing for 1/2 hour then Rick (Greenfox) playing the other half followed by afternoon tea and a free for all who wanted a go.

Besides a cypher at the wrong time in one of my tunes and not pushing the down lift button properly (thinking i was stuck on stage for a second) the day went well for us both.

i had the honor of the first to use the piano as it had been out of action for a while.

ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
compton

compton

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:10 pm

DAY 3

A short 1hr drive took us to the next VTPO set up of which he has 2.
And is in the progress of restoring a 2 manual Wurlitzer console and hopefully attaching that to real pipes somewhere in the near future. (has the ranks in storage as well as percussion's needed).

he has a Conn 65? that still runs as orginal but has been midi-fied.
Running Miditzer--Jorgan--Hauptwerk! depending on which one you wish to play.

the other organ is a re fitted Rodgers that runs from Hauptwerk. The organ original owner had it set up with 31 VTPO ranks. (read here....http://theatreorgans.com/ianmclean/photo.htm)

the organ at its present location runs through 2 large 5 way speakers (3 tweeters--i mid range--18" vented base speakers) into a very large open room with a tiled floor.
the samples run through Hauptwerk so the sound at present is DRY.
later when the additional speakers are added the organ will be moved.

Even though the samples are DRY the organ sounds fantastic.

ian
compton

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Ian

Thanks for posting a great run-down on your trip. It was a real privilege to meet you and host you for part of your whirlwind Brisbane trip. Thank you for your music and thoughts and for the "buzz" your visit brought to the Brisbane Theatre Organ community.

Thank you to Jim Henry and Miditzer for bringing two lost organ soles back into the Theatre Organ community. This Forum was the initial meeting point from which friendships have grown and a rekindling of Theatre Organ interest and spirit.

(sorry, should have waited for you to finish)

Regards
Rick
Last edited by greenfox on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

compton

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 pm

DAY 4

An 1 hr in the opposite direction to the previous day we find a working Conn with Tone cabinet (behind the organ) and a fully working with added 3rd manual Compton church style electronic organ that has had midi added to it.

the organ at present runs through a 2.1 amp system but with very good speakers.
the organ has 2 x19" touch screens on either side as stop jams. the organ runs the Miditzer 260 and Jorgan.
It takes time for Mike to separate the screens but makes playing it much easier and being able to enlarge the graphics in Jorgan has made it easier to push the correct tab after splitting the screen.
many hours of talk on speaker placement---to adjusting rank volumes--to organ layouts followed before another day had gone flying by again.

ian
compton

compton

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:22 pm

DAY 5
phew............
3/4 hr in another direction we have an under house garage with Vtpo organs galore.

There are 3 organs and a grand piano in the music room/workshop/office area under the house.
Another converted 65? Conn--this one however has been gutted.
The tabs on the console are hooked up "LIVE" to the Miditzer 260.
Not having enough tabs for a 3 manual 260 he set the organ to read the tabs for what they are.
the rest is done by pistons to bring on the other stops.
the organ runs through a 2.1 speaker set up.

there is the Rodgers organ in original condition in case you just want to get on and play the best theatre organ clone that was available at the time.

Last we have a converted Baldwin cinema II--this runs an Artisian set up and has 17 ranks of real samples and a linux computer.
In this case the organ spec is governed by the tabs----what you see is what you get.

We went through some rank volume balancing to help even things out.
this organ runs through 2 x two sets of 15"speakers.
the samples again are DRY.
1 set of speakers is run from a standard stereo amp.
the other set is run from a amp with digital processor and set with a reverb setting, this makes the overall sound not as dry as if just using the stereo amp.

Another day gone yet again!

ian
compton

compton

Post by compton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Nearly there!!

THe last organ was at one of the places i stayed besides Rick's for a few days.
the Conn organ still runs as original and as Miditzer 260.
The organ is connected to a home cinema amp and runs the speakers through A&B channels giving 4.1 (with sub).
2 of the speakers are 5 way 18" speakers--- the other 2 are 3 way 8"---with 12" sub.
the set up is in the car garage with concrete floor so some good bounce again.
We changed the settings in the amp and also reverb-pan--balance in Miditzer and now have the organ--and he also agreed.... sounding great! :D
The yellow pistons on the console are for the Miditzer solo---great---accomp and the midi is brought in through a 4x4 controller (top left of organ console)

ian
Last edited by compton on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compton

compton

Post by compton » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:13 am

well thats all folks"............. :D

what a week a what a way it was to spend my 40th Birthday!!!

Ricks above post just about says it all---thank you all round Jim and Crew--and also to Rick and his family for putting up with me for several days.

With all this going on i have just got back on the roster at the local cinema (TOSA SA) playing the organ before the film shows!

ian
compton

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks for the detailed report! Yes, it sounds like a great way to spend a birthday. I've been trying to connect up with virtual organ owners here in the SF Bay Area, so far have met a couple of HW users but haven't found any Miditzer users yet...