HTOS -Meeting Sept 27

Goings on in the world of theatre organs
cswift
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by cswift » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 am

If we don't get blown away or flooded out by Hurricane Ike, the Houston Theatre Organ Society will have a meeting on Saturday, September 27th at 1 PM.  This meeting will include several professional organists and an open console session on the 3/16 Mighty Wurlitzer.  If you are going to be in the Houston area, we would love to have you be our guests.There used to be three Pipe Organ Pizza parlors in Houston.  Regretably, they are all gone now.  But for this meeting, in addition to the above, we are planning a Pizza Party around the console.  Please let me know if you can come" and I'll provide directions. 

engrssc
Moderator Group

Post by engrssc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:04 am

Assume everyone knows where? Hope Ike doesn't interfere  

Rgds,
Ed

PS, since Carl mentioned Pipe Organ Pizza places, if anyone is in the Milwaukee, WI area, you may want to check out Organ Piper Pizza's Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ . Of note, the console is an enlarged version of the 260 now playing 30 ranks. Also, Jim Henry's friend, Ron Reseigh is one of the featured organists. BTW, great pizza besides.

Celebrated my birthday there on Sunday with family and friends. engrssc2008-09-11 11:19:20

cswift

Post by cswift » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:18 am

Hurricane Ike didn't kill us, damage the organ, or damage our "can do" spirit - so we had the HTOS meeting, a music fest and, pizza party as planned.  We had about 25 happy organ music lovers there including one who drove over from San Antonio (about 200 miles (330 Km.)) just for the meeting.

The organists included Jim Kozak who debuted 4 new compositions of his own in addition to several pipe organ standards, Jim Connors who, in pizza parlor tradition, played numerous requests, and Jon Steen concluded the meeting with a broad selection of standards and show tunes.  All three had at one time played in the 3 pipe organ pizza establishments that used to be in Houston and are extremely skilled organists.

It was a great party and we wish you all could have been here for the fun.  Maybe next time.

I was questioned extensively about the progress of the several VTPO projects and I plan to give a presentation on Miditzer and other VTPOs at the next meeting.  There is increasing interest in converting old analog consoles  to VTPOs.

Carlcswift2008-09-28 06:19:14

engrssc
Moderator Group

Post by engrssc » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am

Sounds good, literally, Carl. If any of your friends need help or one on one, feel free. No doubt many helpful VTPO memebers here.

Rgds,
ED