Windows/Linux hybrid

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
moonskin
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Windows/Linux hybrid

Post by moonskin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 am

Hi Everyone.

My poor little brain has been ticking over again with another mad scheme. :evil: I'm wondering what people think.

With the recent successful experiments on changing the Miditzer priority in Windows and my previous experiences with LinuxSampler and Jconv on Puppy Linux, I've decided to join the two. I want to run Miditzer on Windows at high priority and send it's midi to the Midi Out of a midi interface (a motu fastlane in this case). This midi stream will then go to the midi input on a linux box running Linuxsampler with Gig files for samples. This will run through Jconv to generate a surround sound environment.

This should separate the load of handling the graphics and midi routing from the sound generation and also give more grunt to the convolution reverb.

(Ultimately, it would be interesting to send the midi to two separate linux boxes running stereo samples for each chamber but I don't think finances are likely to stretch that far.)

If this works, it is possible to envisage a system where Miditzer runs at the console and sends Midi over a network to any number of linux boxes which could be up to 90m (or more with network switches) from the console.

One of the things that has prompted me to maintain a linux environment is a new audio project developing for linux. Called "Open Octave" is has started with a full featured midi editor that looks really good. Next in line is a complete acoustic space generating reverb system based on Jconv. If you want to have a look at how it is shaping up, go visit http://www.openoctave.org

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

toplayer2

Re: Windows/Linux hybrid

Post by toplayer2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Graham,

Interesting concept. The only potential problem is the slow baud rate for MIDI, so it may require multiple ports or better still a MIDIoverLAN type approach. The sound should prove to be quite good.

As you may know, Graham Goode has been working on a 3/29 for jOrgan which uses the gig samples and jconv. He has been under the weather of late, so we all hope he's feeling better!

Thanks for the link to Open Octave. Rosegarden is fairly well known in the Linux music community. The planned Open Octave Verb looks like it might borrow a few ideas from GigaPulse.

As an FYI, I am working with Alan Baker on a free 3/10 VTPO which will be a compliment to the forthcoming free version of Hauptwerk (limited to 1.5 GB memory, 2 audio channels, and 256 note polyphony). We are also contemplating a very inexpensive commercial upgrade to a 3/20 for licensed Hauptwerk, and later a potential 4/40. The 440 would require 8 GB and dual monitors to display over 300 stops. I'm doing the samples (with real sampled trem of course) and Alan is doing the ODFs.

Joe

PS: the graphics work you did for MidiTzer is superb!

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 am

toplayer2 wrote:The only potential problem is the slow baud rate for MIDI, so it may require multiple ports or better still a MIDIoverLAN type approach. The sound should prove to be quite good.
Just had a thought: Roland and some of the other manufacturers provide a MIDI device driver that connects to a serial port. If there was something equivalent for Linux then you could link the computers with a serial cable and set the baud rate as high as you want.

Just an idle thought...

elpaharo

Post by elpaharo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm

toplayer2 wrote: ...... snip .........

As an FYI, I am working with Alan Baker on a free 3/10 VTPO which will be a compliment to the forthcoming free version of Hauptwerk (limited to 1.5 GB memory, 2 audio channels, and 256 note polyphony). We are also contemplating a very inexpensive commercial upgrade to a 3/20 for licensed Hauptwerk, and later a potential 4/40. The 440 would require 8 GB and dual monitors to display over 300 stops. I'm doing the samples (with real sampled trem of course) and Alan is doing the ODFs.

Joe

PS: the graphics work you did for MidiTzer is superb!

Joe

When do you anticipate that both the "free" Hauptwerk and your 3/10 will be available to the public? Also, will your 3/10 be available to run under the OSX 10.5.7 iMac 24 inch system or would it require the Parallel environment? I know that Hauptwerk is fully compatable with the 64 bit OSX 10.x.x system but, wonder about your effort.

I also appreciate the graphics work that Graham has done for Miditzer. It is simply outstanding!

Bill
New Braunfels, Texas

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:53 pm

elpaharo wrote:When do you anticipate that both the "free" Hauptwerk and your 3/10 will be available to the public? Also, will your 3/10 be available to run under the OSX 10.5.7 iMac 24 inch system or would it require the Parallel environment? I know that Hauptwerk is fully compatable with the 64 bit OSX 10.x.x system but, wonder about your effort.
Bill,

The samples for the ten ranks and four tuned percussion instruments are all complete except for final voicing. The traps and effects are next, but should not take too long. Alan has sent me several ODF screen shot variations to evaluate the designs. It is hard to say how much time it will require for Alan to build all the control logic, but I would guess under ninety days. The 320 upgrade should also be released at the same time.

Yes, since Hauptwerk runs natively under both Windows and OSX (32 or 64 bit), the 3/10 will also run on those platforms. Memory requirements for the 310 will be 1.5GB and the 320 will be 2GB. Screen res will be 1280 x 1024.

Joe

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:35 pm

toplayer2 wrote:Hi Graham,

Interesting concept. The only potential problem is the slow baud rate for MIDI, so it may require multiple ports or better still a MIDIoverLAN type approach. The sound should prove to be quite good.
One of the reason I will start with MIDI is to see how it holds up. Using a LAN would be a good way to go for multiple "slaves" but I have yet to find a cross platform solution.
As you may know, Graham Goode has been working on a 3/29 for jOrgan which uses the gig samples and jconv. He has been under the weather of late, so we all hope he's feeling better!
I second that. His work has been phenomenal.

Thanks for the link to Open Octave. Rosegarden is fairly well known in the Linux music community. The planned Open Octave Verb looks like it might borrow a few ideas from GigaPulse.
There has been the promise of a graphical front end for JConv but Verb may make this unnecessary.

Interesting development! Will the free version have convolution I wonder?

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 am

moonskin wrote:Interesting development! Will the free version have convolution I wonder?
Graham,

It's pure speculation on my part, but I doubt that the free version will include the convolver expected in a future release of Hauptwerk. A number of HW users are setting up third party convolvers with HW running as a VSTi. Another approach would be to use a second PC as a convolver.

Joe

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 am

toplayer2 wrote:
moonskin wrote:Interesting development! Will the free version have convolution I wonder?
Graham,

It's pure speculation on my part, but I doubt that the free version will include the convolver expected in a future release of Hauptwerk.
I agree with you. It would be very surprising.
A number of HW users are setting up third party convolvers with HW running as a VSTi. Another approach would be to use a second PC as a convolver.

Joe
That's why I will pursue my scheme. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds. :D

Also, I discovered again today something I had forgotten. ReaStream, which is part of the free VST set from the Reaper people, can stream both audio and MIDI over a network. I'll look into running it with VstHost in Windows and under WINE and see if they talk to each other. If so, the MIDI over LAN problem is possibly solved.

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:16 pm

[quote="moonskin] If so, the MIDI over LAN problem is possibly solved.
[/quote]

At school today I had one machine running Miditzer and its merged output sent to ReaStream via Midiyoke. The sound was muted. ReaStream was set to broadcast. ReaStream was hosted in SaviHost.

On another I had ReaStream receiving and sending the received midi to Miditzer's input via Midiyoke.

I could play the first Miditzer and the second would play. Midi files played perfectly including stop and swell changes. There was some latency but I think that will improve on a network that is not as busy. It was certainly playable.

(So Windows to Windows works. Next step is to see if SaviHost/ReaStream will run properly under WINE/Linux.)

EDIT: I take back what I said. At home I'm getting lots of dropped notes. It is a wireless network so that may be an issue. I have a holiday coming up next week so I'll try again then with a direct cable, machine to machine and see how that compares with MIDI direct connection.

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am

Johannes Sorensen has succeeded in getting the newly released free edition of Hauptwerk to install and run on an Ubuntu Linux system using Wine. See his post on the HW forum:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5149

Joe Hardy