Windows/Linux hybrid

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
toplayer2

Re: Windows/Linux hybrid

Post by toplayer2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:39 am

More news...

In response to a question from our friend Graham Goode, Hauptwerk developer Martin Dyde has confirmed that the free Hauptwerk edition may be run in stand-alone mode (normal) or as a VSTi with a suitable VSTi host program such as Sonar, Reaper, Cantabile, GSO 4.0, VStack, and others. This would be a good way to add convolved reverb.

Joe Hardy

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:45 am

The free version of the Paramount 310 that Alan and I are developing will use the same ranks as the MidiTzer 216, so in theory it will be possible to use MidiTzer as the relay and Hauptwerk in sequencer mode as the pipework. HW would need to be set up to interpret the MidiTzer MIDI output for the trem controls. I'm not yet certain if the traps and effects can be mapped to match MidiTzer's requirements; worst case, the Miles sf2 could continue to serve.

Joe Hardy

moonskin
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by moonskin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:25 am

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try. How do you think the 256 polyphony limit will go?

I've now tried EthernetMIDI http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/ and it works very well. I'm running a direct cable between the two machines and the connection seems to be problem free at this stage. I've had a bunch of ciphers but I am pretty certain that they are due to the sampler running in Windows with a slow disk rather than the connection itself.

When I run Miditzer as a slave rather than Linuxsampler, it plays that critical first five minutes of the Ron Reseigh concert without a hitch.

When I can, I'll boot into Puppy Linux and see how that goes.

I'm also tempted to try Windows 7 - (I'm entitled to use our enterprise license for a single home machine) - so far what I have seen at work has been very impressive. It seems faster than XP and very stable - has been problem free on a netbook with Atom CPU that we have been supplied.

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:36 am

moonskin wrote:I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try. How do you think the 256 polyphony limit will go?
Graham,

I modeled the 310 using GSO with the polyphony dialed down to 256. As long as the registrations are not overly large, there does not seem to be a problem excessive dropped notes.

Sounds like you are making great progress with you project. Yes, the buzz for Win7 is very good indeed. October 22!

Hot off the press is our preliminary spec sheet: https://sites.google.com/site/vtheatreo ... ations.pdf

-Joe
Last edited by toplayer2 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:34 am

Sadly, I have to report that this has beaten me so far. :(

I can't get EthernetMIDI to work under WINE. Something probably to do with accessing the network but I haven't been able to sort it out. I hope that a linux client might be forthcoming at some stage.

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 am

I decided to go back to MIDI again to see how that goes (now that I have a Linux compatible UM-1EX interface). 99% successful with 1 MIDI cable.

On the Ron Reseigh Concert, I got no ciphers or dropped notes but the timing was off in the really heavy passages due to delayed events. Since the 216 and 260 both need more than 16 MIDI channels, it's going to need two cables anyway to fully implement and I think that will mean things are fine.

For those of you that have the cash, CME has a WIDI (Wireless MIDI) system and M-Audio has the MidAir system. Classic Midiworks has a Midijet Pro system. I guess everything is going wireless!

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:01 pm

moonskin wrote:For those of you that have the cash, CME has a WIDI (Wireless MIDI) system and M-Audio has the MidAir system. Classic Midiworks has a Midijet Pro system.
I've had success with the 'Do-It-Yourself' wireless MIDI interface described on LadyAda's website.

grumpyom

Post by grumpyom » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:32 pm

One other option that I have tried is to run the effects on a Linux box and link the audio via Jacknet. This works cross platform, but is limited to the the number of channels on the source cpu. I couldn't find a "jack aware" virtual connection for Windows, which would solve the problem. Also Jack can be used for network midi.

Gary

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:03 am

I've just come across a version of Multimidicast for Windows. (The original Multimidicast is for Linux)

Like, ipMidi (not free), Multimidicast uses UDP datagrams and is effectively broadcast over the network. It does not carry the overhead of TCP/IP and is subscriptionless. Any machine on the network segment can listen and get the Midi.

This means you could have a master machine running Miditzer, sending over ethernet and any number of slave machines running the synthesis side of things.

Unfortunately, I don't have a setup at the moment to test it so this is FYI only.

Windows version is at http://bitbucket.org/moumar/multimidica ... /wiki/Home

Linux version is at http://llg.cubic.org/tools/multimidicast/

Cheers
Graham
Cheers
Graham

johnh

Post by johnh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 pm

moonskin wrote:I've just come across a version of Multimidicast for Windows. (The original Multimidicast is for Linux)
Thanks for that link! If I get some time this week I'll try and test it out.

---john.