TangoStudio

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
moonskin
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

TangoStudio

Post by moonskin » Sun May 27, 2012 7:50 am

Just an update on more adventures in LinuxLand.

TangoStudio is based on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) which is an LTS release. (Lucid is a little older but very stable and does not have the overheads of Unity.) It is set up specifically for music production and the thing that attracted me is that it has support for the latest plugin architecture for Linux - LV2 (LADSPA version 2) and has the IR convolution plugin installed.

IR is an interesting piece of work. (Website) It supports 4 channel impulses. These are referred to as "True Stereo" because there is a left and right source and left and right positions. Each position has two impulses. eg the right position has an impulse for a right source and a left source. (and vice versa).

I am planning to run two instances of IR with the second instance feeding surround channels with the wet signal only.

Tango also has WINE and WINEASIO installed and preconfigured which lets Miditzer run well.

I've resurrected Linuxsampler (which also has an LV2 version which I've yet to try) for sound.

Why have I started playing with Linux again? Well, I've managed to salvage a nine year old 2U rack server. It has 3 x 38G SCSI drives (enterprise grade!), dual 2.8GHz Xeon processors, 1G RAM, dual redundant power supplies (1 not working) and 2x Gb ethernet ports. (It still had a dual modem card in it as well) It was pensioned off because it did not have enough storage and was not fast enough! It's a real brute and usually needs and extra deep rack cabinet to sit in. Although it is deep, it is only 2U thick so will be easy to fit in the console
2Uracksvr.jpg
The thing has so many fans in it that it starts up like a jet. I'm sure mounted in the console it will sound just like a typical chamber ;) .

It only has 2 PCI slots - no AGP or PCIe so onboard video is the go. That's not a real problem in this application. It also only has 2x USB 1 ports but I think that will be enough with an external powered hub.

I've gone with Linux because the beast had Win Server on it which of course had to be removed.

Once I'm happy with the setup, I'll use a MIDI file to drive it while I use a JACK recorder to capture it. If it works OK, I'll post an MP3.

If anyone is interested in impulses suitable for IR, there is a great free set of impulses taken from a Bricasti M7 reverb unit. (Website)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Graham

toplayer2

Re: TangoStudio

Post by toplayer2 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:09 am

Graham,

Good luck with your latest Linux project. An integrated convolver will be a great asset. I have found that a good reverb is the most important element to achieving a great theatre organ sound. While the Bricasti IRs no doubt sound very nice, for the most realistic emulation of an acoustic space, IRs captured in real rooms work best, IMO. I just acquired a Lexicon PCM96-Surround-A which is a close competitor to the Bricasti M7. While it sounds very good, I went wack to GigaPulse to get that "you are there" feeling.

Since your PC has a PCI slot, you may wish to look into an M-Audio 1010LT. 4Front makes a linux driver. This is what Artisan uses in their Sound Engine.

Joe Hardy

reuel
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by reuel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am

Quick test of TangoStudio 1.2 AMD64 version for hardware compatibility.

Following Key Hardware Auto detected and works:-
1. Nvidia video card - auto detected and works
2. Realtek onboard audio - Auto detected and works
3. Creative Audigy SE sound card - Auto detected and works
4. M-Audio Oxygen 61 midi keyboard - USB auto detected and works
5. Emu X-Board 61 midi keyboard USB interface auto detected and works
6. Emu x-Midi 2x2 2x USB midi-interface midi keyboard - auto detected and works
If I want, I think I can already run Miditzer216/260SP on TangoStudio x64.

Following hardware (that works with Windows 7x64) doesn't work - until somthing can be done....?
A. Casio Wk8000 Midi keyboard - USB midi interface not detected in this version of Linux
B. Roland UM-ONE Usb-midi interface - not detected in this version of Linux
C. HP Compaq L12105TM Monitor - Monitor works but Multitouch not working. (other Linux kernel may already have driver for Acer/HP multi-touch included.)

Of course, we can always only purchase & use COMPATIBLE hardware to use this version of Linux.

reuel
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by reuel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 am

"It has 3 x 38G SCSI drives (enterprise grade!)"

Hi Graham,
I have 4 x 36G used SCA SCSI drives that you can have for free (please just pay for postage).
The drives came out of a Compaq Proliant Server that has been decommisioned. They were working. You will need to low level format them using your server's scsi interface before using.

Your server has bays for 6 drives I notice.

Reuel

moonskin
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by moonskin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks Reuel but I've decided to not use the server. In the end, the noise of the fans was too much and the server mobo architecture did not suit the heavy number crunching that convolution requires.

I've actually gone back to a very simple past solution that has been updated. I'm again running a trusty P4 with 2Gb RAM and a good quality terratec multichannel card.

For the OS, I've gone back to Puppy because there is now a pup based on Ubuntu Precise which has a very up-to-date 3.3.2 kernel. Running entirely in RAM is a big plus.

So the setup is now Miditzer (in Precise WINE) with LinuxSampler (V1) using the original HVO gig samples. This feeds jconvolver running a true stereo impulse of the Herbert Zipper* hall in LA. Audio is via Jack2 running in real time mode.

I've just got a working turnkey script system that starts the whole shebang automatically at startup. Once installed in the console, I should be able to connect a switch to the powerswitch pins on the motherboard and install it on the console. I'm inclined to try and find a spring loaded (momentary) toggle, similar to the pedal traps switch, that will look the part.
toggle.jpg
The real question is though, can I work out how to get the thing to play the sound of a blower starting in the distance while the script loads the applications? :D

* The Zipper hall is reputed to have good acoustics. Anybody been there and would like to share their impressions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Graham