Miditzer Quartet

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
WERSI-Tifoso
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Miditzer Quartet

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 pm

moonskin wrote:...
I'm working on a solution but for now, just be patient- that's if anyone is actually trying this ;)
I am one of the anyones: I appreciate Your all-in-one-package approach and the almost perfect quality already reached.

I ran the setup with the 260 giving it a first try with the integrated midifile player. Everything o.k. until I tried to stop the player. This action froze the whole sytem ( no mouse, no key response) for a while until a notice "could not shut down midiplayer" and "fatal error requires shutdown of Midtzer"
appeared. But after closing those notices Miditzer remained ok.
I could reproduce this for three times. I will continue tomorrow and report.

Regards
Hartmut ;)

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Graham,

tested the descripted issue again. The bug is reproduceable. The correct wording of the pop-ups is a bit different, but the meaning is the same.

The midi-file starts correctly and produces the descripted stop and messsages only if interrupted by clicking the play button.
The Miditzer surface then freezes, sound included and no action is possible. After a while the messsages appea, if clicked disappear and a fully functional 260 appears again. :roll:

If the midifile is run to the end everything remains ok.

Although I feel You already have discovered this I thought my observations might support Your efforts for an elegant programme.

Regards,
Hartmut

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Hartmut

I knew that the player doesn't stop properly (but forgot to say so :oops: ) but I didn't know that Miditzer remained operable. That's new.

I've just uploaded a completely new version. This one is based on a slightly different base. Barry Kauler, the original Puppy developer, has taken over the Precise Puppy project and changed it's direction. It now uses a different kernel and driver set. This makes it significantly smaller.

Also, to deal with the delay around the wineserver process shutting down, I've changed the way Miditzer(s) start. There are no longer desktop icons. There is a menu item "Organs" instead. These run scripts which wait until the wineserver process ends before they start Miditzer. The "Start Blower" desktop icon is still there to start up Jack and QSynth.

http://vtpo.ravenhawk.net.au/miditzer/MZx4_BK2.iso
270,233,600 bytes (~258Mb) so much smaller download
md5=2a584f0a8a0570b75a9a6c84bdbeb1c5

If you want to open Miditzer Settings, you may need to go into the Utilities menu and open Wine Config and untick the two boxes in the graphics tab so that the window manager doesn't control the windows.

This DOES boot on my Macbook Pro and in this version, the trackpad works properly, though a little sensitively. Although I have no way of testing, I hope this will run on any Intel based Mac and I believe it would be a better solution than running Miditzer under emulation within OSX
Cheers
Graham

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:21 am

Forgot to say that I have put all the MIDI files in ~/my documents/music. There is a folder for each style and I've thrown some extras in for the 260SP from Joe Hardy and PaulUK for some interesting, contrasting styles.

(Watching Paul's work is giving me a way to finally get my head around that style. Thanks Paul :D )
Cheers
Graham

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 am

Here is what it sounds like...
JH_Our_Waltz.mp3
PUK_Formby_Medley.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Graham

ggoode.sa

Post by ggoode.sa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 am

Hi Graham,

I've downloaded your latest ISO twice and cannot get the MD5 to match :( Could you check to see if your upload was OK?

Kind regards,
GrahamG
G. Goode

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:04 am

Sorry about that, :oops: Doesn't match for me either :x

Right number of bytes though :?

I'll start the upload again when I go to bed in about an hour or so. (11pm my time) Takes about 80-90 mins to upload.
Cheers
Graham

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 am

The download md5 checksum should be correct now.
Cheers
Graham

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Graham,
downloaded the new and smaller version to HP Pavillion PC (2 gig, Intel Dual Core).
Everything works o.k. and I noticed up to now no problems: with exception of the blower, which doesńt produce even a whisper.The reported bugs still exsist as reported.

Thanks for Your efforts again, especially the included extra files...and the very welcome chance to explore Linux.

Regards,
Hartmut ;)

PS: Didńt succeed with having recognized the midi-interface within Miditzer settings. Beeing not very familiar with Linux I suspect it is a problem of mounting...or... and? ;)

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:04 am

WERSI-Tifoso wrote:Graham,
downloaded the new and smaller version to HP Pavillion PC (2 gig, Intel Dual Core).
Everything works o.k. and I noticed up to now no problems: with exception of the blower, which doesńt produce even a whisper.
The blower doesn't produce any sound yet. It just starts up Jack and Qsynth.
The reported bugs still exsist as reported.
That problem can't be solved. It is some sort of incompatibility between Miditzer and WINE so unfortunately we have live with it.
PS: Didńt succeed with having recognized the midi-interface within Miditzer settings. Beeing not very familiar with Linux I suspect it is a problem of mounting...or... and? ;)
Most likely a driver problem. Some interfaces are not class compliant and so need a driver. Linux may not have a driver available. What interface are you using? I'll try and find out something if I can but no promises. :)
Cheers
Graham