Miditzer Quartet

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
WERSI-Tifoso
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Miditzer Quartet

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:32 am

Graham,

thanks for the information and offer.

The file player bug is of no importance for my personal usage profile of Miditzer. And as it causes no major damage and in a way "repairs" itself automatically,living with it should be possible for all, who have fallen in love with this Linux-Miditzer product. ;)

For some reason the "XP MidiMate I" interface is recognized now. ( ...it ran already perfectly under XP,Vista,7 as pnp device without need to install any driver).
Sorry for the false alarm. :oops:

Regards,
Hartmut

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:05 am

Glad you like it :D
Blower.wav.zip
Download and unzip the archive. It contains Blower.wav Copy this into the home (root) directory.

Start the Blower from the desktop. Go down to the task bar which will pop up. You will find the Jack Audio Connection Kit icon. (Looks like a plug). Open it and click the setup button. On the second, "Options" tab, check the first box for "Execute Script on Startup" and enter

aplay Blower.wav

in the text box next to it.

Click OK and Quit the application. Restart the Blower.

You should now get 10seconds of a blower starting up before Jack continues starting.

If you want this to be permanent, you will need to create a save file when you shutdown Puppy (if you haven't done so already).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Graham

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:55 pm

moonskin wrote:The download md5 checksum should be correct now.
Hi Graham

I can confirm the new upload is a valid file. I downloaded the file, burnt the ISO to CD and booted. All was quick and easy. No configuration required. I clicked the Blower icon then started Miditzer 216, selected a Midi file and played. It sounded very good, very good clarity and lovely reverb environment.

This is very easy to run. No settings or configuration required for Puppy Linux, graphics or audio. Just boot from CD and it all works.

Trying to "Stop" the Midi file does cause problems, on my system Miditzer no longer runs and after a few minutes says it needs to close down. I noticed a small glitch when starting a second Midi file, but it settled and then ran fine.

I have not tried connecting external Midi yet.

Regards
Rick
Rick

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:31 am

Graham,

I am working myself step by step through the Linux environment of Your Miditzers, which i have now installed on a USB stick. It takes a bit more than 30" to load the OS and Miditzer until a ready-to- play state. Sensational compared to loading the WindowsOS and Miditzer. :!:

The 216 and 260 work perfectly with my Midi Interface on a Windows PC ( 2008 bread).
Latency is felt to have increased slightly, which is for me personally is very welcome, as it comes very near to playing the real thing.

Until now I did not manage to load the jc-convolver surface. Could You PSE tell me where it is hidden?

Greetings,
Hartmut ;)

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 am

WERSI-Tifoso wrote:Graham,

Until now I did not manage to load the jc-convolver surface. Could You PSE tell me where it is hidden?

Greetings,
Hartmut ;)
It's not hidden - it's not there. :o

jconvolver ( the new name for jconv) is script driven. You'll find the script "Zipper.conf" in the root directory and the impulse file in root\reverbs. There is plenty of info in comments within the .conf script itself. Rt-click on the file and choose "open as Text" to edit it.

Also, in the script strtenv.sh, the convolver is started with the line "jconvolver Zipper.conf"

This tells jconvolver to start with whatever configuration is in the Zipper.conf file. You can set up any number of .conf files with different names. So if you want to change the reverb you need to do some script editing. The reason I did this is because Jc-Gui would not compile correctly on this Puppy for me and I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

One thing I hope to add in the future is a number of different impulses and corresponding config files and scripts to allow you to set the environment you want to have. The script would need to rewrite a default config file.
Cheers
Graham

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 pm

I appreciate Your explanations very much and I like to follow the thoughts and steps behind things which seem so easy and natural. I gives a fine look into the inside and the efforts necessary to present such a near to perfect product.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with scripting neither programming ( my last experiences date back to COBOL). So I can´t answer with a script as it would be a true LINUX manner. I will have to wait and suck honey :roll: .

A last question - off the Miditzer records PSE -. I activated the firewall, but could not detect any virus-protection. Is Linux immune?

Greetings,
Hartmut

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 am

I'm currently working on the next version that will include the blower noise and switchable reverb - as long as I can find some more good impulses that are freely distributable.
Cheers
Graham

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:40 am

moonskin wrote:I'm currently working on the next version that will include the blower noise and switchable reverb - as long as I can find some more good impulses that are freely distributable.
I am not an expert enough to judge this convolution reverb product, but it comes along with free 200Mb of IR.
You will find it here:
http://www2.ika.rub.de/HybridReverb2/

BTW: a trial is running on Miditzer/HVO gig samples/SampleLord/Reaper setup. I am pleased with the quite voluminous and warm sound, which is welcome as an alternative to the algorithmic, a bit tinny reverb.

Hartmut

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:45 am

moonskin wrote:I'm currently working on the next version that will include the blower noise and switchable reverb - as long as I can find some more good impulses that are freely distributable.
This sentence was and still is an appetizer...at least for me as a fan of Grahams "live-install and play" version of Miditzer on Linux, which in addition provides a good convolution reverb.
Are there plan or intentions, which will satisfy my "appetite" on an update - hopefully with the new Morton SF included - in the near future ?

Rgds
Hartmut :roll: ;)

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 am

Hi Hartmut

I was never satisfied with the stability of that version, but...

There is a new version in the pipeline that uses zita-rev1 which is an excellent algorithmic reverb written by the developer of jconvolver for his own virtual organ.

It will have the Morton soundfont but unfortunately I can't give you a timeline at this stage.

Here is a link to information about zita-rev1

http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linux ... guide.html
Cheers
Graham