Miditzer on Raspberry Pi?

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
petercottontail
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Miditzer on Raspberry Pi?

Post by petercottontail » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

I have seen the Puppy Linux Miditzer live CD, and I have seen that there is a Puppy Linux variation that will run on a Raspberry Pi, so I wondered, Is it possible to run Miditzer on a Raspberry Pi?
I know that the Raspberry Pi has an ARM architecture which would cause more work but is it even theoretically possible to compile it to run on a Pi? if not what would be some of the reasons?

Thanks!

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Miditzer on Raspberry Pi?

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm

If the Miditzer needs to be compiled to run on the Raspberry Pi, then the big problem would be that I don't have a clue about doing things on the Raspberry Pi.

The second issue would be that you need a sound font synthesizer to get sound from the MIDI that the Miditzer produces. I don't know if FluidSynth could run on the Raspberry Pi. FluidSynth is compute intensive. I think the question is whether the Raspberry Pi has floating point hardware.

Probably the first step in doing something like this would be to make a native Linux version of the Miditzer. If that depends on me, it just isn't going to happen. If there is someone out there who knows how to port Windows applications to Linux and would like to port the Miditzer, let me know. Same offer for a Mac port, an iPad port, an Android port, etc. The Miditzer is closed source only because I want to maintain quality control of what is out there with the Miditzer name on it. I'm real picky, just ask Graham Wykes (who did the Miditzer graphics). :twisted:
Jim Henry