Latest on Linux

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
Garythelad
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Latest on Linux

Post by Garythelad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi all,
First let me say I'm an organist, not a computer whiz & that's my problem. I can install & run Miditzer on Windows 7 but have the problem of notes sticking. I've read a lot of correspondence on this but haven't as yet found a cure. Thought I would like to try Miditzer on Linux but just don't understand how to install it. I'm running Lucid at the moment but have also tried Mint. Most of the info I've read is from several years ago so if someone could give me some easy to understand updated info re installing on Linux I'd be most grateful. Thanks for your help
GaryO

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Latest on Linux

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Gary, I don't think Linux will help you with sticking notes, by which I assume you mean ciphers.

The ciphers issues were pretty much cleared up by revisions to the Miditzer at least one or two versions ago. If you are running the current version of the software, 0.88 or later for any of the styles, then you should not be having an issue with ciphers.

Tell us a bit more about your setup and the specifics of the issues you are experiencing. If your keyboards are connected by one of these low-cost, no-name MIDI to USB cables that looks like this,
then replacing the cable with a brand name cable such as the Roland UM-1 or the Emu Xmidi will be your first step.
Jim Henry

Garythelad

Post by Garythelad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks Jim,
I'm using my Lowery GX1 as the instrument & using a line out from my computer to the line in on the organ for audio. This enables the use of the swell pedal. Yes, I have 2 of the cables you have displayed and so I guess that could be the problem. I live 150k from the nearest city so I will see if I can obtain another interface online. Thanks for your help. will keep you posted.
GaryO

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:28 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I live in Southern California, a highly populous area. I can't really think in terms of a distance from a city. Maybe I could think about how far I'd have to go to not be near a city. Even here I look on-line to get a decent MIDI to USB cable. I probably could find one in a shop within driving distance if I really had to but it is so much easier and less time consuming to get it on-line.
Jim Henry

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Garythelad wrote:... Thought I would like to try Miditzer on Linux but just don't understand how to install it...
Gary,

in case You did not study the topic "NEW PUPPY" in "Miditzer on Linux" closely, I would like to draw Your attention to the first two posts by "moonskin" and recommend to download/install his software.

Although 4 years old, it is still a little gem, an all-in-one software, once started it will load Linux and end with Miditzer ready to play.

Rgds,
Hartmut ;)

StentorVox

Post by StentorVox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm

What is the LATEST latest on Linux for MidiTzer?

I keep getting told these messages are old and outdated, but I can't seem to find anything newer posted here on the variety of topics.

Han anyone been able to run Miditzer 260 successfully on Linux or Rapberry Pi?

pk
StentorVox.com

csw900
Groupie

Post by csw900 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi StentorVox

I tried running Miditzer on several different varieties of Linux several years ago. You MAY
be able to find my postings.

Anyway my conclusion was that Miditzer cannot be made to run successfully on Linux (under Wine)
even though one or two people claim to have had some success. The problem stems from the way
Miditzer opens its menus - the method used simply does not work reliably on Linux. Thus there are no
menus available and from there on you are simply wasting your time.

Even if you could get it to work it would not be playable from a keyboard because the latency
would be excessive.

As for running it on a Rasperry Pi - forget it. The Pi uses an incompatible processor so there is no
possibility of running Miditzer on it.

csw900

StentorVox

Post by StentorVox » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanx for the update.

Trying to run the MidiTzer like a Rolls Royce in a Vee Dub world, I guess.
I love the features of the 260 and playing from as many speakers as possible.

The simplicity of set-up-and-run is easy to sell others on this remarkable software.
All they have to do is plug a MIDI organ (or keyboard or two or three with pedals) into a computer.
With a good speakers setup from the computer it far outshines grandma's old instrument that led to the decline of the organ a serious instrument years ago.

I have encouraged folks to simply download this software and become a one man orchestra. It is perfect for students to perform on the little recorder device and monitor their progress. New composers are coming out.

Some want to grow into more advanced features, and some progress on to more pricey software packages. That is a good sign of healthy growth. Esq James has launched a whole new generation of composers and performers.

When some claim it is not easy to modify I just point them to the"settings" screens and that opens up all sorts of alternatives to keep them busy. I get questions of the potential for Linux, etc. No prob. If it works, no need to "fix" it. I hope it remains as-is for a long time to come. Its purpose will never be obsolete.

pk
StentorVox.com

csw900
Groupie

Post by csw900 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

Hi All you Linux Fans,

I cannot help much with sticking notes, they are likely to be caused by your midi equipment not Miditzer.

However I do have the solution to running Miditzer on Linux and Mac. My new organ, eplayOrgan, is now
on line at my website https://midimusic.github.io and it can do a very good job of simulating
Miditzer and other organs including Viscount and Hauptwerk.

This organ WILL run a simulation of Miditzer on Linux and Mac computers. It even plays well provided
you can tolerate a little latency.

First install Wine then download my organ and copy the files to any folder of your choice. Make a
shortcut to eplayOrgan on your desktop. It will then run by double clicking the icon.

As I am no organist myself (I just play a little to amuse myself) I would greatly appreciate some
comments from organists about the playability of my organ -- particularly when it is run on Windows.

Best Wishes
csw900