Miditizer for Kontakt

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
LiamKey
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Miditizer for Kontakt

Post by LiamKey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 am

Hello,

If I can get someone to look at the GUI I would be willing to make a Kontakt instrument for Miditzer theatre organ. I also think its time if you are refreshing it that we move to real audio files rather than sf2, as this decreases the sound quality quite dramatically.

What are your thoughts on this and can anyone provide me with the real audio files used so I can talk to some people about making a nice GUI so its useable and playable on both Mac and Windows as from my experience most professionals use Macs.

Kind Regards Liam B

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Miditizer for Kontakt

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Liam.

I know almost nothing about Kontakt so my reply may be wildly off base. The Miditzer outputs MIDI. The open source FluidSynth soft synth is bundled to make it easy for novices to get up and running to produce sound. The use of sound fonts has deep historical roots with the Miditzer which was created as a way of using the Cinema Organ sound font created by Bruce Miles. Even after nearly 20 years, I think it is hard to match the quality of the Cinema Organ sound font with anything approaching its small size. BTW, the Cinema Organ sound font is NOT based on real pipe samples.

However, the Miditzer is not limited to using sound fonts. That is just its most straight forward use. The Miditzer has been used to play real pipes! And it has been used as a front end for synthesis based on real pipe samples. However, it is very hard to produce a good set of samples from a theatre pipe organ. I don't know of any that are not proprietary.

Is Kontakt able to accept MIDI input from the Miditzer via a virtual MIDI cable such as LoopBe1? If so, that would probably be the easiest way to make use of the capabilities of Kontakt from the Miditzer.
Jim Henry

reuel

Re: Miditizer for Kontakt

Post by reuel » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:22 pm

LiamKey wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 am
Hello,

If I can get someone to look at the GUI I would be willing to make a Kontakt instrument for Miditzer theatre organ. I also think its time if you are refreshing it that we move to real audio files rather than sf2, as this decreases the sound quality quite dramatically.

What are your thoughts on this and can anyone provide me with the real audio files used so I can talk to some people about making a nice GUI so its useable and playable on both Mac and Windows as from my experience most professionals use Macs.

Kind Regards Liam B
Kontakt has 4 ports x 16 MIDI Channels. But it is NOT suitable to run a Virtual Organ unless you are only trying to play organ preset and NOT organ Stops or Tabs.
But Miditzer 260SP/216 can be the front end of samples held in Kontakt - ie. Kontakt can be used as a synthesizer alternative to fluidsynth or Creative Sound cards. I am using E-MU Emulator X3 with real samples as backend to Miditzer 260SP.

SF2 does contain WAV audio files internally whether synthesised or sampled wav files.
It is wrong to assume that sampled audio files will sound better. Organ sound is a mixture of different selected voices in AIR + the room acoustic to give the final Organ sound.

The soundfont of Miditzer was created by Bruce Miles using Additive Synthesis of 31 drawbars (cf. Hammand organs only use 9 drawbars) - so the sound samples are very realistic and proven. John Tay's sound font created for Miditzer was created using samples from real Wurlizer Theatre Organ in NY so Miditzer already has GOOD sound.

Reuel