Problem with style 216 since installing 160C

Currently alpha test. Topics specific to the 160C.
ChuckH
Groupie
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Problem with style 216 since installing 160C

Post by ChuckH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am

Hi all,

I have been playing Style 216 for a few weeks and had everything set up to my liking and working like a charm. Then I discovered the 160C and loaded that as well and played with that for a few days with great fascination and admiration for the pianola sound it produced.

Today I returned to play the 216 only to find that every piston (even general cancel) caused the Toy Counter train whistle to sound until I hit the panic button.

I uninstalled both the 216 and 160C and deleted the directories and cleaned the registry and reinstalled just the 216. To my surprise the problem is still there.

Anybody got any ideas on what could be causing this?

Charles
Charles Hughes, Melbourne, Australia

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Problem with style 216 since installing 160C

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 am

How do you activate the pistons?

Does activating the on-screen pistons with the mouse also sound the train whistle?
Jim Henry

ChuckH
Groupie

Post by ChuckH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Jim,
At first it occurred when activating pistons from the AR80 then I found it also happens from the screen with the mouse.

ChuckH
Groupie

Post by ChuckH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:16 pm

A bit more info... at base camp, I do not have the problem I have just discovered.

BTW, is it ok to run 216 and 150C on the same PC - any special configuration requirements to avoid any cross interference (if any is possible)?

bobinmissouri

Post by bobinmissouri » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 pm

I have the 150, 160C, 216 and a modified 216 Miditzer programs loaded on my desktop and laptop. Each program runs without any problems. I even had the trial 260SP Miditzer loaded on both machines along with the others at one time with no problems. I only run the program of one of the Miditzers at a specific time. I have never tried to have two different Miditzer programs running at the same time. The desktop has Windows XP and the laptop has Windows Vista as their operating systems.
bobinmissouri

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:44 pm

The two things that I think you have to do with regard to multiple styles of Miditzers are:

1 -- Install each Style in a different directory

2 -- Don't try to run to Styles at the same time

It may be possible to do these things, perhaps with certain precautions, but I think if you do follow these guidelines, you will keep things simple.
Jim Henry

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm

ChuckH wrote:A bit more info... at base camp, I do not have the problem I have just discovered.
That seems to say that the configuration file somehow got some strange information in it. I am puzzled as to why that affected the screen pistons though.

Anyway, glad you have solved your problem.
Jim Henry

ChuckH
Groupie

Post by ChuckH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks guys.

I was trying to recall in more detail what events took place prior to the problem and I think that as I was hibernating the laptop at one stage having been using 216, I may have removed the midi cable during hibernation initiation. Maybe that did something to the settings in Miditzer or in the midi cable electronic board.

I do have 160C and 216 in their own directories and only run them one at a time.

I was wondering if there might be common registry entries that both styles use that say point to the wrong directory for the xml/cbo files or something like that? I am not very technical when it comes to PC registry matters. I don't even know if Miditzer uses the registry - just musing.

Anyway, at the moment, it seems to have corrected itself. Thanks, Charles

greenfox

Post by greenfox » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Hello Charles

You certainly do need to be careful about your USB Midi adapter and Windows Hibernation.

I can't say that it would be the reason for the strange fault you have mentioned, however I have found it certainly causes problems.

If using Windows Standby or Hibernation, you must unplug the USB Midi adapter before going into either of these modes. If you remove the USB Midi device after the computer has gone to sleep, then wake it up without the USB Midi device connected, Windows will not be very happy. I have had the blue screen of death in this situation.
Rick

ChuckH
Groupie

Post by ChuckH » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Yes Rick, you are quite right. It's all the little things that we discover quite by chance that keep us on our toes (and keep us guessing)!

I think that it is also important not to rush changes (eg changing priority) to avoid strange occurrences - something that "Compton" touched on from memory in one of his posts.

cheers, Charles