Piano sustain sometimes too long

Currently alpha test. Topics specific to the 160C.
ChuckH
Groupie
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Piano sustain sometimes too long

Post by ChuckH » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 pm

A question for Jim Henry:

Jim, I have played a number of .mid files through the 160c and in quite a few cases where it just the piano with no organ, the sustain is held too long and the notes begin to sound muddy and discordant. Is it possible to add a Miditzer setting that will intervene and limit how long the sustain pedal can stay on for, a bit like what is provided for the swell threshold?

Charles
Charles Hughes, Melbourne, Australia

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Piano sustain sometimes too long

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:09 am

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the MIDI files you are playing leave the sustain on too long for the way the 160C reacts. That is not something the Miditzer would be able to do anything worthwhile about. Perhaps you could find some sort of MIDI preprocessor to deal with the issue. It would be pretty easy to use MIDI-OX to remove the sustain entirely. You could then play the MIDI file with the MIDI-OX player, filter out the sustain, send the MIDI-OX Out to the Miditzer In, and record the file with the Miditzer's recorder while you add an appropriate sustain.
Jim Henry

ChuckH
Groupie
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Piano sustain sometimes too long

Post by ChuckH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:47 pm

I recently stumbled onto this little program that strips out sustain messages from midi files. It is quiick and seems to work well but occassionally also removes the Beats/Minute setting causing the music to play faster. I have added the installer as a zipped file for anyone interested. Once installed, you right click a .mid file and select "Strip Midi File". It creates a second .mid file buit changes the name eg, the file "WakeUpLittleGirl-1978S.mid" creates "WakeUpLittleGirl-1978S_stripped.mid".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charles Hughes, Melbourne, Australia