Honky tonk style 160c

Currently alpha test. Topics specific to the 160C.
compton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Honky tonk style 160c

Post by compton » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 pm

JIm and crew

i think a Honky tonk sound font for the style 160c would make the organ more realistic.

As people may or may not know
the organ pipes and the piano when the temperature changes go there separate way- in the opposite direction-like tuned percussion's can on the organ ---(also the reeds Vs the flue pipes go out of tune from each other.)

So these organs must have been a bit of a nightmare to play, when the weather changed.
So having a slightly out of tune piano would add realism to playing it.

Ian
compton

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Honky tonk style 160c

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:32 pm

The piano42 sound font includes a honky tonk piano. It is a free download at:
http://www.personalcopy.com/sfonts.htm

Load piano42.sf2 into an unused bank, say 26, on the Fluidsynth Settings tab of the Miditzer settings.
Set the Piano to the bank that holds piano42, e.g. 26, on the Output tab.
Set the Piano Patch 1 to 0 and Patch 2 to 3.

You will now have a regular piano when the Piano stop is on and a honky tonk piano when you add the Mandolin stop. You can also try setting Patch 1 to 1 for another piano sound that I think may work better with the pipes.
Jim Henry

ChuckH
Groupie
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by ChuckH » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I was interested to read that you can add additional sound font files using different sound banks. I tried the steps you provided for piano42 and it sound great. But it raises a number of questions in my mind…

1. Out of curiosity is it possible to have the honky tonk as a totally separate tab rather than being dependant on the piano tab.

2. Can you please explain the concept of Patch codes and do they relate particularly to Fluidsynth or to Miditzer? Or is there a table of standard codes that you looked up to know to the values to assign to Patch1 and Patch2 for piano42?

3. How many Banks are there? Are there any constraints on which ones are used in Miditzer? Is there a reason behind why is 25 the bank used as ‘standard’ in Miditzer?

Charles
Charles Hughes, Melbourne, Australia

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 am

ChuckH wrote:I was interested to read that you can add additional sound font files using different sound banks. I tried the steps you provided for piano42 and it sound great. But it raises a number of questions in my mind…
Here are some quick answers to your questions. There is an area of this Forum devoted to sound fonts where you can find more information and post further questions if choose to dive into this area.
ChuckH wrote: 1. Out of curiosity is it possible to have the honky tonk as a totally separate tab rather than being dependant on the piano tab.
You could put the honky tonk piano on the Piano tab but then you would lose the regular piano. The Mandolin requires the Piano tab to be on because that is how the Mandolin tab works on a real Wurlitzer. In reality Piano calls forth one sound font instrument and Piano + Mandolin calls forth another completely independently. But there is nothing you can do to change the way the Mandolin tab interacts with the Piano tab.
ChuckH wrote: 2. Can you please explain the concept of Patch codes and do they relate particularly to Fluidsynth or to Miditzer? Or is there a table of standard codes that you looked up to know to the values to assign to Patch1 and Patch2 for piano42?
Patch codes actually have to do with the MIDI standard for selecting the instruments being played by MIDI note messages. piano42 adheres to the standards for General MIDI (GM) instrument assignments because the instruments it includes are all found in the GM set. When you are using a sound font that includes instruments that are not found in the GM instruments, like the ranks of a pipe organ, then there are no standards and you have to find the documentation for the sound font or use a sound font editor to look inside the sound font.
ChuckH wrote: 3. How many Banks are there? Are there any constraints on which ones are used in Miditzer? Is there a reason behind why is 25 the bank used as ‘standard’ in Miditzer?

Charles
MIDI supports up to 32 thousand and something banks. Most MIDI devices only support 128. I don't know how many FluidSynth supports but the Miditzer only gives you access to 128.

Bank 25 is a holdover from the way Bruce Miles originally set up his cinema organ sound font, which was the impetus for the development of the Miditzer. At that time we relied on the hardware synthesizer of the Creative SoundBlaster soundcards to synthesize the sound fonts. Configuring everything was a bit tricky and it was easier if everyone used the same bank. Bruce chose 25 as a generally unused bank. With FluidSynth the bank is not so tightly constrained but we stick with 25 because that's where the cinema sound font has always been.
Jim Henry