Going on with the MidiTzer 160C

Currently alpha test. Topics specific to the 160C.
Ted Zick
Groupie
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Going on with the MidiTzer 160C

Post by Ted Zick » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm

First, this organ has become my albsolute favorite pastime! A great creation and sounds fantastic on my MidiTzer console.

As I learn more about the instrument I of course, come up with questions that limit my next steps.

1. I am ready to install a pedal pot controlled Main volume control to replace the Main
volume control I use from the Theater System Infrared remote. The Theater system
is the sound system and volume control for the MidiTzer. Has anyone used an IR transmitter
from a volume pedal? Any ideas?

2. I need to understand the relationship between the 11 ranks apparently containing the
63 individual stops and the three manuals. I do know that the volume for each rank
controls the volume of that rank but if I want to change the volume of, say the Pedal
stop(s) which rank affects which of the five stops?

I have noticed that when playing most pieces, the volume of the pedal voice(s) is much
lower than the other two manuals. This is not the case for the 216 which is well balanced
and it seems to be like the 160C on the 150 although I have not tried to play the 150 as
much as the other two.

Ultimately I would like to have a slider pot for each manual to individually balance the
volume. Perhaps use one per rank?

3. If I change the sound font for a given 160C stop, is there a way to change the 160C graphis
for that old stop position on the console ( such as substituting a Viola font for a Mariba).

At the moment my memory lapses when I make such a change (I would plan on doing a
few in the future) and I figured there must be a way to change the graphic as well?

Any ideas are certainly welcome. In the meantime I have been withou power for more than a week thanks to the "Land Hurricane" that hit our area of Virginia so all thoughts are about the theory of what I would like to do since I can't play the MidiTzer right now.

The priority of a power backkup for MidiTzer is certainly on my mind right behind the well, AC, and Fan Power without a generator.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Going on with the MidiTzer 160C

Post by Jim Henry » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:22 am

I can give you one quick answer:

3. No, there is no way to change the Miditzer graphics.

I'll try to come back to your other questions when I have more time.
Jim Henry

Ted Zick
Groupie

Post by Ted Zick » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the quick anser. I understand the reasoning however, I do wish it would have been different.

I look forward to hearing more on my musings.

BTW after eight days without power we got it last night at 6:30 pM SO now I can actually play the organ again.

Ted Zick

greenfox
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by greenfox » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Hello Ted

Unfortunately the short answer to the other aspect of your question is also no.

There is no way to provide volume adjustment between the manuals or the pedals. The virtual Miditzer is exactly like the real Theatre Organ and is fully Unified. That means that all the tabs you find in all divisions of the organ are drawn from the I think 10 ranks of pipes (or virtual pipes).

The only way to adjust the level of each division is to carefully select which tabs you have selected in your combination. You will find that the tabs on a Theatre Organ are arranged Left to Right, Loudest to softest, deepest to highest. The deepest to highest is clearly marked by the 16', 8', 4' etc. The Loudest to softest is not marked, but you can assume that a voice of the same footage, the one to the right is softer than the one to the left. This adds another complexity to setting registrations. It is something you need to be well aware of if you ever had the opportunity to play a real one.

Regards
Rick
Rick

rmac

Post by rmac » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 pm

I cannot tell you about pots and such but I can clear up some conceptions you have about the 160C. The 160C has just one chamber therefore it can only have one volume control This is why it only has one swell pedal to control one set of shutters.

The 160C has 6 ranks of pipes, Trumpet, Open Diapason, Salcional, Viox Celeste, Flute and Vox Humana. It is a unit organ so all the rest of the stops you see are just extensions of the ranks. Say you are playing Middle C of the 8’ flute stop on one manual and try to play Middle C.8’ flute stop on another manual- it will not sound because the pipe is already playing. Don’t be fooled by the different names of the stops ,the 16” Bass and 8’ Open Diapason are the same rank, the 8’ Salcional and 4’ Salicet are the same rank and the 8’ Viox Celeste and the Octave Celeste are the same rank. I think of the Salcional as a Violin stop and the Viox Celeste as a slightly mistuned violin stop which creates a shimmering effect.

The thing to remember on the 160C is on the accompany manual the Vox and Open Diapason play on all 61 keys and the other stops are split. The lower stops (on the left) only sound on notes F# above Middle C and below. The upper stops (on the right) only sound on G above middle C and up. The (TC) 16 Cello is an upper stop. The Solo and Pedal are standard theatre organ style. The piano adds an octave to the top and an octave and a third on the bottom. This does not add any ranks to the organ but lets a piano player sound good with the right stops selected on the accompany manual.

I hope this helps you to understand the 160C. To the rest of you I trust you will correct any errors I have made in this description of the 160C.

Bob

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:30 am

Ted,

I have nothing to add to the excellent answers that have been given.

Undoubtedly there are many improvements that could be made to the way the 160C works with all the restrictions of the real world taken away in the virtual world of the Miditzer. However, the objective of the Miditzer Style 160C is to give you the opportunity to try playing a Style 160C with all the challenges an organist/pianist would have faced on the real instrument. The piano console instruments were very common in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, they didn't capture the interest of the theatre organ hobbyists and they have all but vanished today. I have never seen a piano console Wurlitzer in person. The virtual Miditzer Style 160C is probably the closest most of us will ever get to playing one of these fascinating instruments.
Jim Henry

Ted Zick
Groupie

Post by Ted Zick » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Jim, Bor and Rick,

Thank you all for the valuable information. I am learning a lot with this instrument and each tidbit of information must be digested and tried out. I will get into the instrument armed with the new data and see what happens. I will post more later.

Ted Zick

Ted Zick
Groupie

Post by Ted Zick » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

OOps Bob my typing is not so good.

Bor should be Dob (rmac)

Ted

rmac

Post by rmac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 am

Ted,

That's OK. I left an "i" out of Salicional myself.

Bob

Ted Zick
Groupie

Post by Ted Zick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Perhaps I covered too much ground in my first post.

Let me try again.

When using the 160C, the volume of the 16 foot stops is considerably (at least one third less) lower in volume than the 8 foot stops on the same manual. It is more noticeable on the pedal manual. In general, the pedal stops are much lower in volume than the Solo or Accomp. Manuals.

My question is this:

If the only volume settings are in the ranks, which rank contains the Pedal 16 foot bass, the 16 foot Bourd? On the Accomp the 16 foot Bour, 16 foot bourd, 16 foot Cello?

My more general conceren is why the lower the note, the lower the volume? e.g. lowest C on Pedal vs Next C on Pedal or Middle C on Accomp vs each lower C.

Is there a cross reference from Rank to Stop for the 160? I have looked at Sf2 Miditzer 160 file using Viena but do not see the relationship. Is there a standard that I should be aware of?

This same problem does not exist on the 216 with the exact same Keyboard and sound setup. I have tried one by one rank adjustments withou any noticable change and on my Desktop PC vs the Miditzer console PC.

Ted Zick