Hello? Is this thing on?

Hang out chat, and share pictures and recordings with other organists backstage
WERSI-Tifoso
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 am

Ian,

great! And thanks for sharing Your experiences and knowledge in such an unusual detailed manner. I found it most interesting to learn how other TO fans set up their configurations and how much "tweaking" is necessary to get the best out of it.

"johnh"´s post triggered the idea if it would be a good idea to ask Jim to add a " meeting corner" to the forum´s main topics, where search for local Miditzer fans could be launched.

Hartmut

compton

Post by compton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Hartmut

Setting up and tweaking the sound can take a while.

The last organ i worked on over the week away, while he was playing i turned the pan on the amp all over to the right side.
He has two speakers playing left and right.
the smaller of the two speakers i lifted in the air while he was playing--he suddenly looked over as he could hear the difference.
he intends to get stands made to get these speakers about 3ft off the floor.

We also moved the main (largest speakers away from the organ and slightly angled them in.
i then showed him what i was listening for when i set the subwoofer volume--suddenly the base came alive.

Most of us tend to have our speakers to close to us......Eg right next to the organ as we are limited on space. So therefore reverb settings for each set up will be slightly different.

Ian
compton

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Bob Walker of Walker Organs is a real stickler for sound as you can well imagine. In the Walker demo room at the 2005 ATOS convention, they had all their speakers lying on their backs speaking into the ceiling to disperse the sound before you heard it.
Jim Henry

johnh

Re: Speakers facing up

Post by johnh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 pm

A friend of mine owns an Allen VTPO that is installed in a garage. The speakers are all (with the exception of the woofer cabinets) on a shelf about 8' off the ground and point up with a slight angle. Had never seen anything quite like it before...
organ_garage_console.jpg
organ_garage.jpg
(you can just make out the row of brown speaker cabinets on the back wall in the picture)

Someone else owns the cars, you never know what you'll see when you stop in to visit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

compton

Post by compton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Jim

i did try putting the speakers on their backs at one of the venues-----but the speakers were vented on the back! :D
they then developed asthma and a funny cough when playing back :lol:

ian
compton

compton

Post by compton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 pm

JohnH

well that garage is certainly is what all of us VTPO people want for a music room!! :D

And wouldn't mind a couple of the cars either!.

ian
compton

WERSI-Tifoso

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:51 am

Maybe my post on the site
http://site.virtualorgan.com/community/ ... 1&start=10
is considered as a contribution to this topic.
Hartmut

StentorVox

Outdoor organ

Post by StentorVox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am

For Southern California viewers, the San Diego Spreckels outdoor organ (love this instrument) is featured on Huell's "California Gold" tonite at 7 pm on channel 28.

Have any of you installed outdoor organs? Perhaps I may enlarge my own surround sound garden organ one of these days.
My touring instrument can be set up anywhere, and a garden setting is a perfect locale. I had to destroy my garden with its bushes, streams, ponds and lighted fountains due to the recent drought, replacing it with desert landscaping (ugh!) that does NOT lend itself to organ speaker cabinetry.

The portability of MidiTzer enables it for touring, mall gigs, garden weddings, receptions and wherever lounge lizards congregate.

Huell shares tonite's TV organ program with the "Pageant of the Masters" (the outdoor Laguna amphitheatre staging of great works of art I attend often to "borrow" ideas for staging my own productions posing actors as Living Christmas Cards and patriotic statues, etc.).

pk
StentorVox.com

johnh

Re: Outdoor organ

Post by johnh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:28 pm

StentorVox wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am
For Southern California viewers, the San Diego Spreckels outdoor organ (love this instrument) is featured on Huell's "California Gold" tonite at 7 pm on channel 28.
You can watch this episode on demand here:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser- ... -gold-511/

The Spreckels organ is in the second half of the program...

---john.

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Jim Henry » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Huell Howser visited a number of pipe organs, predominantly theatre organs, for his "California Gold" series. To his credit, the coverage is rather good for a general interest program. I am sure there are quite a few nuggets for the theatre organ enthusiast to find in the archive of his shows.
Jim Henry