Rodgers 321B Trio and Miditzer 260 Installation

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
John Kinkennon
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Rodgers 321B Trio and Miditzer 260 Installation

Post by John Kinkennon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Yeah, Jim, you guesed right. I wonder if I was secretly pining for an All Terain Vehicle (ATV). RTV would be my choice, but I do like the idea of trying the beeswax as it would be so easy to make adjustments if needed. Not to mention how perfect beeswax is on lacing tape and for sticking roll-tops. Good stuff.

dicknorton
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by dicknorton » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks to you all for the great tips. I am leaning toward the addition of new reed switches as it seems to be the simpler process. I'll chat with the tech that is doing this for me to get his take on it.

The initial wiring to the keyer did mess up the pedal sustain as I mentioned in an earlier post. I had to pull the connectors off the MUX board and then the sustain came back.

Again - thank you all for your suggestions. By the way, I have been reading the boards trying to get a sense if the Miditzer will function with Windows 7 64-bit. Before I buy the computer I found (that only has this operating system) to dedicate to this program, I'd like to know if there are any known issues. Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

Dick

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:37 am

If you are buying a computer to dedicate to the Miditzer, I'd suggest looking for an inexpensive used, "out of date" computer. The Miditzer doesn't need a really high powered computer. Something pretty anemic by today's standards will still do quite nicely, especially if all the extraneous background software is taken off. You can probably find something suitable being given away, or close to it.
Jim Henry

dicknorton

Post by dicknorton » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the used computer. I'll check around and see what is available. Is there any advantage to a stand-alone sound card vs the chip integrated on most mother boards?

WERSI-Tifoso
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by WERSI-Tifoso » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 am

The sound quality of mother board integrated chips IMO is an issue with "out of date" computers, especially with laptops.

There are lot of quite low priced soundcards, which
- really improve the sound,
- have often integrated room simulation features,
- equaliziers, bass enhancement etc called f.e. EAX,
- can by an integrated synthe play SF instead by fluidsynth without latency,
- can be cascaded for multiple output.

Which type, external or extra-internal one uses IMO pepends on:
- compatibility with Your computer ( laptop, internal slots, ports ),
- if You have the choice, also on taste and Your "love" of cable spaghetti.

I personally used in the beginning one of the cheap Creative Series, later changed to EMU 0404.
I recommend to study their web sites.

And if You screen this forum under appropriate topics there can be found real good advice and experience about using soundcards.

Hartmut

dicknorton

Post by dicknorton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 am

Well, I tried finding a cheap computer, but I became concerned about buying someone else's headache. So, I broke down and bought a new slim case Dell Vostro with Windows 7-32 bit (I decided go with 32-bit to avoid potential issues with a 64-bit operating system). So far, it has worked fine, although I have had a few odd crashes with the software which required restarting the software (not the computer). They have been very infrequent. When launching Miditzer, I select "run as administrator" and that gives me the most reliable software operation.

I appreciate the comments on the sound card. This computer has built-in audio which is ok, but it does not sound as good as the program on my other computer with a stand-alone sound card. The trick is deciding on which one to get.

I uploaded a youtube video playing around with the Rodgers and the Miditzer. You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIt5dgoWcPo (copy and past the URL in your browser).

The tech and I are still exploring the best option on add MIDI to the pedals (currently, I am using the Rodgers stops for them). Thank you to all for your comments/suggestions.

sharynf

Post by sharynf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:18 pm

I know this is an old old post BUT when adding the extra set of pedal reeds are you suggesting adding them behind the existing reeds in the cut outs?

IF i want to add midi to the 321 keyboards where is it easiest to pick up the signal
Thanks
Sharyn

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:58 am

The best way to proceed is to gut the Trio of all its electronics. Then you can use all the switches, including the original pedal reed relays, without trying to "tap into" the electronic circuits. Trying to add MIDI while keeping the analog electronics functioning is vastly harder. My assessment is that if you have to ask how to do it, you won't be able to.

In the years since the last post I have fiddled a bit with trying to set up reed relays for another application. It is harder than I expected. I strongly encourage you to use the original pedal reed relays as is. I would leave the wiring from all the switches to the circuit boards because it will be much more convenient to connect the MIDI encoder at the circuit boards. Wiring the actual switches would be a big job that Rodgers has already done for you.

P.S. Doing a whole console is a big project. If you are new to all of this, you probably should do a few smaller things to get familiar with things before ripping up the Trio.
Jim Henry

sharynf

Post by sharynf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks for the advice
I was looking at starting slow with just doing one manual and maybe the pedals. Artisan suggested getting the Midi boutique pre wired ago reed harness and just hot glue the reeds next to the existing reeds. They also said to just solder contact wires to the existing keyer boards. But then again they are the vendor

Well have to think it over
Thanks
Sharyn

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm

If Artisan has experience with what they are proposing and will help you make it work, that is worth something.

My comments are from the perspective of what I would do facing the project with no direct experience. I do have a Rodgers Trio that I have been intending to MIDIfy and I have done some limited things that would be applicable. But I have not personally MIDIfied a complete organ console. So take what I say with that in mind.
Jim Henry