going crazy

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
compton
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: going crazy

Post by compton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi

i have a small 10' laptop that has a 1.66ghz processor--runs windows 7 and has a 25ogb hard drive with 215gb hard drive free.

after reading the above i thought i would try it out running the Miditzer--because i could :D

to report the same sticky notes and issues --- yes -- more when you start task manager :lol: ----however the style 150 performed well :D

ian
compton

Spence
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Spence » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

The 216 that I downloaded was great. I am now evaluating the 260 which I will probably pay the registration fee on.

But "GOING CRAZY" is what I am doing when it comes to remembering what registration tab I am playing. This is especially so when I am playing along and make a change in the registration. When I go to resave it, I can never remember which registration tab I am working with. I am getting a bit long in the tooth and a bit short on gray matter.

It would be nice for us old guys if you change the software so that the registration tab in use could be highlighted.

But really, both the 216 and the 260 are fantastic.. thank you.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 pm

The idea of lighting the pistons when they are "active" has been discussed at length in the past. The quick summary is that real Wurlitzers don't do it. Even if I didn't just stick to historical accuracy (and there other things where I haven't) it isn't that simple to do. The big issue in my mind is that a piston is a shortcut for setting a bunch of stops. The stops are the indicators. Once a piston sets them, you are free to make further changes and the stops continue to give you the indication of what is playing. At best a lighted piston would just be an indication of something that happened at some moment in the past that might or might not be relevant now.

I would encourage you to practice listening to the sounds you are getting and learning to hear what stops are in the registration. I am not going to pretend that this is easy. It is very hard. But it is a very good skill for an organist to have. As you practice at it, you'll be able to imagine the sound you want and know what stops you need to get it, or at least have a better idea of where to start to get close.

Do things like playing a passage taking one stop out and putting it back in as you repeat the passage so you can hear what that one stop adds to the registration. If you can't hear what it adds, then maybe you don't need that stop in that registration. You should always try to play with the fewest number of stops that will do the job. Adding too many stops taxes the organ, real or virtual, and muddies the sound.
Jim Henry

Spence

Post by Spence » Fri May 25, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks Jim.

I didn't realize that this wasn't an easy change. I know that the actual pipe organ presets don't light up. I've gotten use to the lighted presets on my Conn 651, my Technics and other electronic organs that I can mention. I have to agree, the problem is with my own memory.

Both the 216 and the 260 virtual pipe organs are absolutely wonderful. You people have revolutionized the organ experience forever. Thanks to all of you.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri May 25, 2012 11:28 am

I can't emphasize too much the importance of listening when playing music. It is a natural tendency to try to think your way through playing, hence your concern about not remembering what you did with the pistons.

I am now of the opinion that thinking too much will get in the way of your musical growth. Consider driving a car or touch typing or talking and all the things you do during those activities without really thinking about them. I believe you should be trying to get to the same point when playing music. That means you should just listen to what you are playing and if it doesn't sound quite like what you want, don't worry about how you got there, just do what you need to do to get the sound you want.
Jim Henry