MIDITZER on LINUX MINT 21

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
windmountain
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

MIDITZER on LINUX MINT 21

Post by windmountain » Mon May 06, 2024 1:17 am

I just installed MIDITZER 260 today on my LINUX MINT 21 computer under WINE. It runs perfectly and is in tune with my GrandOrgue BARTON 312 VPO. Here are some takeaways:

MIDITZER should be run under Pulse Audio - not Jack!

You have to open winecfg in terminal window and make sure all the Graphics boxes are unchecked. Otherwise you will not be able right click on title bar to make settings.

To individually control maximum volume, open the LINUX sound settings and look for the Applications settings under output and adjust the volume settings for the loaded MIDITZER to suit your preferences. I had to lower it to about 60%.

If you try to use "workspaces" feature in LINUX, there is no way to limit MIDITZER's appearance to a given workspace. It will always be on top and dominate all workspaces. You can always grab the title bar and slide it around to bring other programs into view; however, do not try to minimize it! You cannot restore it. If you do this by mistake you will have to open the LINUX System Monitor and "kill" the MIDITZER process and reload. Maybe I'll figure a workaround someday.

Good luck.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: MIDITZER on LINUX MINT 21

Post by Jim Henry » Mon May 06, 2024 7:43 am

Thank you for posting this information. I have no experience with running the Miditzer on anything other than Windows. Information like yours will be helpful to others who want to venture beyond Windows.

Have you tried the alpha versions of the Style 216 posted in the Development Labs section of this Forum? I would be interested in knowing if the experience is better or worse. There are major "under the hood" changes and there is ongoing work on a new version of the underlying Miditzer engine. No promises but it there are hiccups in running the alpha version of the Miditzer on Linux we might be able to address them.
Jim Henry

windmountain

Re: MIDITZER on LINUX MINT 21

Post by windmountain » Sat May 11, 2024 2:16 am

With a little bit of experimentation I learned that the WINE utility called "Q4WINE" will allow opening MIDITZER in its own Workspace. It therefore won't overlay all other Workspace windows. However, one should always set a custom desktop size in q4wine and not use Default setting. Additionally, as soon as MIDITZER is closed you have to reload it through q4wine again.